Read our disclaimer before downloading or attempting
to use any of the files from this site.
CADD information and resource files for Microstation are available for
downloading from this site. As much information as is possible has been made
available. Please check the revision dates frequently to ensure you are working with the most
You are encouraged to contact CADD Development with your CADD questions and suggestions via our list of CADD
MicroStation CADD Support Files
A "cell" in MicroStation is a group of graphical elements that can be manipulated as a single
entity. The use of cells enhances CADD productivity and helps promote CADD standardization. The
Department's Cells are stored and maintained in cell libraries, which have been broken down by
- RoadWay.cel - Master Roadway Cell Library
- RoadSigns.cel - Master Roadway Sign Cell Library
- Bridge.cel - Master Structures Cell Library
- Land.cel - Master Landscape Cell Library
- Electrical Cell Library - See Traffic Signal & Safety
- Electrical/ITS Cell Library
Standard colors are specified to ensure consistency and to enable users to easily identify plan elements in
shared files. Elements are assigned a color "number" which MicroStation reads to determine the
correct color to display for that color setting. The Department uses one common master color table.
Font Resource File
Contrasting text styles (fonts) and sizes are used within a drawing to designate different types of
information (i.e. existing versus proposed). The Department's font resource file is made up of a
combination of converted TrueType fonts, Bit Stream fonts, symbol fonts and basic MicroStation font cell
- DOT-1 (Proposed) - Converted TrueType font (fractional) - Used on construction type sheets for
- DOT-7 - Fancy Filled Font - Used on the Quantities EDQ sheet and in displays.
- DOT-11 - Bit Stream Font (straight) - Used for headings and in displays.
- DOT-19 - Bit Stream Font (slanted) - Used for headings and in displays.
- DOT-23 (Existing) - Converted TrueType font (fractional) - Used on all construction type sheets
for "existing" lettering.
- DOT-30 - Filled Font - Used on the "New Jersey Works" sign detail and in displays.
- DOT-31 - Filled Font - Used on the "New Jersey Works" sign detail and in displays.
- DOT-41 - Upper case only - Used in Landscaping plans
- DOT-42 - Filled Font - The "default" font (used by MicroStation if the font number
doesn't exist in the font resource file)
- Fonts - 90, 91, 92, 94 - Symbol fonts for InRoads
- Fonts - 95, 96, 97 - Customized symbol fonts used in InRoads
- Font 127 - Default fast font - used if "fast font" is set in the design file.
IPLOT Pen Tables
The Department uses IPLOT, a Bentley Systems Inc. product, to produce final plan sets. Individual plotting
routines (pen tables) are used to create the final appearance of a MicroStation plot. Pen tables have the
ability to change the "look" of individual elements or groups of elements at plot time to achieve
the desired plan presentation without affecting the original design file element.
These are approximately 16 pen tables that were written to support the various aspects of in-house design
and they may not give an outside user the desired results unless the entire NJDOT CADD system format,
set-up and configuration is followed.
Line Style Resource File
For efficiency reasons the Department has added its own user defined lines styles (UDL) to the basic
MicroStation line style resource file. These UDLs are graphical representations of features like guide
rail, ROW lines, curb, etc. and can be drawn and manipulated as any normal linear element.
When an element is drawn in MicroStation, the definition of the line style is not contained within the
design file, only the line style name / number. When the design file is opened, the display is governed by
the line style resource file being used at the time.
MicroStation uses a "seed" file concept to create new design files. These seed files are
templates in which the standard file parameters (working units, global origin, view attributes, color
table, text settings, coordinate readout, etc.) are set to the Department's standards. The Department
maintains 2D seed files by discipline and a master 3D seed file for three dimensional applications.
- Roadway-Seed-2D.dgn - Master Roadway 2D Seed File
- Bridge-Seed-2D.dgn - Master Structures 2D Seed File
- InRoads-Seed-3D.dgn - Master Engineering 3D Seed File
- Electrical Seed - See Traffic Signal & Safety
- Electrical/ITS Seed - under development
CADD Standards Manual English
Written to create uniformity for the roadway / structure design and drafting, this manual is neither a
textbook nor a substitute for engineering or drafting knowledge, experience, or judgment. These standards
are neither static nor all-inclusive and thus will be updated and enhanced as appropriate.
The information in this document is based on using MicroStation ".dgn" format, which is a product
of Bentley Systems, Inc. It includes information on our Working Units, Global Origin, Level Structure, File
Names, File Content, Line Styles, Line Weights, Fonts, Cells and Color Table as used by the Department.
These include the Roadway Construction Details, Traffic Control, Bridge Construction, ITS and
These include Bridge Standard Drawing
Plates and Standard Drawings for Overhead & Cantilever Sign Support Structures in both DGN and PDF.
They are for uniformity in plan presentation, and are intended to illustrate presentation format
and standards, and are only available as PDF files.