Section 7

MAP DETAILS


 

 

 

7-01     ONE TO TWO THOUSAND SCALE, TWO METER CONTOURS

7-01.1  Scale

The final scale shall be one to two thousand (1:2 000).  There shall be differences of two meters (2.0 M) between intermediate contours and ten meters (10 M) between index contours.

7-01.2  Map Manuscript Requirements

The final map manuscript sheets shall be prepared using a dimensionally stable, polyester-type plastic transparent film having a minimum thickness of one tenth of a millimeter (0.10 MM).  Unless otherwise specified by the NJDOT, each sheet shall be not more than one & one half meters long by three fourth meter wide (1.5 M x 0.75 M) between the outside borders (Figure 7-1).  Unless specified otherwise by the NJDOT , the gross width shall be uniform for each item or sub-item and thirty millimeters longer (15 millimeter margin on each end) than the net length of the longest sheet as indicated on the Item Map.  The net width shall therefore be 675 millimeters.  Match lines shall be provided so that each sheet may be joined accurately to those adjacent.  The words “MATCH LINE TO SHEET NO. ??? OF ???“ shall appear along the outside of each match line, and the title information shall appear in the lower margin.

7-01.3  Contents

  1. General:  Each map sheet shall show all the cultural features in accordance with the map scale standards under Table 5-1 where applicable to the 1:2 000 scale maps.  It will be the Contractor’s responsibility to show each required cultural feature in the position, orientation, shape and dimensions on the map sheet according to the following specifications:

     

    (1)               Buildings with one or more horizontal dimensions of 15 meters or more shall be drawn to scale.  Buildings with one or more horizontal dimensions 7.5 to 15 meters shall be shown 7.5 M x 7.5 M. Buildings with one or more horizontal dimensions 4.5 to 7.5 meters shall be shown 4.5 M x 4.5 M.  Buildings with no horizontal dimension greater than 4.5 meters need not be shown.  The common walls of attached buildings of varying heights shall be shown.

    (2)               As an aid to orientation, all fence lines, walls and hedges which are identifiable as such on the aerial photography and which are not adjacent to highways, streets or trails, shall be shown as the physical limitations of the map sheet permit.

    (3)               Roads shall be shown with solid lines defining each pavement edge and spaced the distance between curbs, hard surface edges or travel path, as the case may be.  Trails shall be indicated by a single, uniformly dashed line representing the centerline of each trail.

    (4)               Power transmission or communication lines, which are constructed on private right-of-way and are cross country in nature, shall be shown.  Where identifiable as such, towers and utility poles shall also be shown.

  2.  

  3. Drainage:  When so defined by the contour layout, drainage lines shall be shown by a dash-and-three-dot symbol in all drainage features when such features are at least four hundred meters (400 M) in length.  All drainage lines shall be stopped at a distance of at least thirty meters (30 M) from the ridge lines.  Streams averaging seven & one half meters (7.5 M) wide or more shall be represented with double lines in the form of dash-and-three -dot format, one line for each shore.  The shorelines of small ponds shall also be represented by this symbol and the interiors of these ponds shall be shown lightly crosshatched.  Large ponds, lakes, reservoirs and the like shall be lightly crosshatched twenty-five millimeters (25 MM) inside the shoreline.  Where drainage is known to exist which would otherwise be indicated by depressed contours, any culverts or comparable drainage structures which can be identified as such on the aerial photographs, or are otherwise known to exist, shall be shown on the map.

     

  4. Relief:  Datum shall be the North American Vertical Datum of 1988, and relief shall be shown by two meter (2 M) contour lines.  Each fifth contour shall be accentuated and numbered with its corresponding elevation, an appropriate multiple of ten meters (10 M), above the Datum.  Contour elevation numbers shall be shown along each accentuated contour line at intervals not to exceed a quarter of a meter (0.25 M).  Elevations of all saddles, high and low spots, roadway intersections, railroad and roadway at-grade crossings, shall be shown to the nearest half of a meter (0.5 M).  In depressions where drainage is indicated by structures, the contours shall not be shown as depressed contours.
  5.  

  6. Coordinates:  Grid lines shall be shown as continuous solid lines from inside border to inside border at 300 meter intervals.  They shall conform to the criteria of the New Jersey State Plane  Coordinate System and shall be labeled at the top, bottom and sides of each map sheet approximately twenty-five millimeters (25 MM) inward from the inside border.  The plotted position of each New Jersey State Plane Coordinate grid line shall not vary from the true grid position by more than three tenths of a millimeter (0.3 MM) on each manuscript.

7-01.4  Accuracies

  1. Cultural Features:  Except for symbolized buildings, the plotted positions of ninety percent (90%) of the cultural features shown shall be within one & one half meters (1.5 M)  of their actual corresponding position in the field as located with respect to the New Jersey State Plane Coordinate System and to the North American Vertical Datum of 1988.  In no instance shall any error be greater than three meters (3.0 M).
  2.  

  3. Contours:  Ninety percent  (90%) of all contour lines shall be correctly plotted to within half the contour interval (1.0 M+), and the remaining ten percent (10%) shall not be in error by more than a whole contour interval (2.0 M+) unless specified otherwise by the NJDOT.  A contour which can be brought within these tolerances by shifting its plotted position by sixty-four hundredths of a millimeter (0.64 MM) will be accepted as being correctly plotted.
  4.  

  5. Spot Elevations:  Ninety percent (90%) of all spot elevations shall be accurately plotted to within one fourth the contour interval (0.5 M+), and the remaining ten percent (10%) shall not be in error by more than one half the contour interval (1 M+).

7-02     ONE TO ONE THOUSAND SCALE, ONE METER CONTOURS

7-02.1  Scale

The final scale shall be one to one thousand (1:1 000).  There shall be a difference of one meter (1 M) between intermediate contours and 5 meters (5 M) between index contours.

7-02.2  Map Manuscript Requirements

The final map manuscript sheets shall be prepared using a dimensionally stable, polyester-type plastic transparent film having a minimum thickness of one tenth of a millimeter (0.10 MM).

Unless specified otherwise by the NJDOT, each sheet shall not be more than one and one half meters long and three fourth meters wide (1.5 M x 0.75 M).  Between the outside borders, the gross width shall be uniform for all sheets, and the gross length shall be uniform for each thirty millimeters larger (15 MM margin on each end) than the net length of the largest sheet as indicated on the Item Map.  The net width shall therefore be 675 millimeters.  Match lines shall be provided so that each sheet may be joined accurately to those adjacent.  The words “MATCH LINE TO SHEET NO. ??? OF ???” shall appear along the outside of each match line, and the title information shall appear in the lower margin. See Figure 7-1 for an example.

  1. General:  Each map sheet shall show all the cultural features in accordance with Table 5-1 where applicable to the 1:1 000 scale maps.  It will be the Contractor’s responsibility to show each required cultural feature in the position, orientation, shape and dimensions on the map sheet according to the following specifications:
  2.  

    (1)               Buildings with one or more horizontal dimensions of 6 meters or more shall be drawn to scale.  Smaller buildings with one or more horizontal dimensions between 3 to 6 meters shall be shown 3 M x 3 M.  Buildings with no horizontal dimensions greater than 3 meters need not be shown.  The common walls of attached buildings of varying heights shall be shown.

     

    (2)               As an aid to orientation, all fence lines, walls and hedges which are identifiable as such on aerial photographs and which are not adjacent to highways, streets or trails, shall be shown as the physical limitations of the map sheet permit.

     

    (3)               Regularly aligned roads shall be plotted using straightedge and uniformly curved drawing templates, and the rendering of such drawings shall be executed with special care.  Freehand or irregular-curve drawing shall be permitted only on meandering trails or roads of irregular alignment.

     

    (4)               Power transmission and communication lines, which are constructed on private right-of-way and are cross country in character, shall be shown.  Where identifiable as such, towers and utility poles shall also be shown.

     

  3. Drainage:  When so defined by the contour layout, drainage lines shall be shown by a dash-and-three-dot symbol in all drainage features when such features are at least 400 meters in length.  All drainage lines shall be stopped at a distance of at least fifteen meters (15 M) from the ridge lines.  Streams averaging three meters (3 M) or more wide shall be represented with double lines in the dash-and-three-dot format, one line for each shore.  The shoreline of small ponds shall also be shown lightly crosshatched.  Large ponds, lakes, reservoirs and the like shall be lightly crosshatched twenty-five millimeters (25 MM) inside the shore line.  Where drainage is known to exist which would otherwise be indicated by depressed contours, any culverts or other comparable drainage structures which can be identified as such on the aerial photographs, or are otherwise known to exist, shall be shown on the map.
  4.  

  5. Wooded Areas:  Woodland outlines shall be carefully and accurately delineated.  A cleared band of actual width shall be shown along all transmission and communication lines.  Woodland outlines must be positioned exactly, especially where the boundary is a road, railroad, transmission or major communication line right-of-way.
  6.  

  7. Relief:  Datum shall be the North American Vertical Datum of 1988 and relief shall be shown by one meter (1 M) contour lines.  Each fifth contour line shall be accentuated and numbered with its corresponding elevation, an appropriate multiple of five meters (5 M), above the Datum.  Contour elevation numbers shall be shown along the accentuated contour line at intervals not to exceed a quarter of a meter (0.25 M).  Elevations of all saddles, high and low spots, roadway intersections, railroad and roadway   at-grade crossings, shall be shown to the nearest tenth of a meter (0.1 M).  In depressions where drainage is indicated by structure, the contours shall not be shown as depressed contours.
  8.  

  9. Coordinates:  Grid lines shall be shown as continuous solid lines from inside border to inside border at 150-meter intervals.  They shall conform to the criteria of the New Jersey State Plane Coordinate System and shall be labeled at the top, bottom and sides of each map sheet approximately twenty-five millimeters (25 MM) inward from the inside border.

The plotted position of each New Jersey State Plane Coordinate grid line shall not vary from the true grid position by more than three tenths of a millimeter (0.3 MM) on each manuscript.

7-02.3  Accuracies

  1. Cultural Features:  Except for symbolized buildings, the plotted positions of ninety percent (90%) of the cultural features shown shall be within 0.75 meters of their actual corresponding positions in the field as located with respect to the New Jersey State Plane Coordinate System and to the North American Vertical Datum of 1988.  In no instance shall any error be greater than one & one half meters (1.5 M).
  2.  

  3. Contours:  Ninety percent (90%) of all contour lines shall be correctly plotted to within half the contour interval (0.5 M+), and the remaining ten percent (10%) shall not be in error by more than a whole contour interval (1.0 M+) unless specified otherwise by the NJDOT.  A contour which can be brought within these tolerances by shifting its plotted position by sixty-four hundredths of a millimeter (0.64 MM) will be accepted as being correctly plotted.
  4.  

  5. Spot Elevations:  Ninety percent (90%) of all spot elevations shall be accurately plotted to within one fourth the contour interval (0.25 meters) and the remaining ten percent (10%) shall not be in error by more than half the contour interval (0.50 meters).

7-03     ONE TO FIVE HUNDRED SCALE, HALF METER CONTOURS AND ONE TO THREE HUNDRED SCALE, HALF METER CONTOURS

7-03.1  Scale

The final scale shall be either one to five hundred (1:500) or one to three hundred (1:300) as specified by the NJDOT.  Although references throughout Section 7-03 will be made with respect to the 1:500 scale, said references shall be construed to apply to the 1:300 scale as well.

7-03.2  Map Manuscript Requirements

The final map manuscript sheets shall be prepared using a dimensionally stable, polyester-type plastic transparent film having a minimum thickness of one tenth of a millimeter (0.10 MM).  Unless specified otherwise by the NJDOT, each sheet shall be not more than one & one half meters long and one meter wide (1.5 M x 1.0 M)  between the outside borders.  The gross width shall be uniform for all sheets while the gross length shall be uniform for each item or sub-item; all map manuscripts shall be identical in size and material in accordance with these Specifications.

Match lines shall be provided so that each sheet may be joined accurately to those adjacent, and the words “MATCH LINE TO SHEET NO. ??? of ???” shall appear along the outside of each match line.

A fifteen millimeter (15 MM) margin shall be provided on the upper, lower and left edges while the right edge shall have sufficient width to allow the incorporation of the Project’s title information (see Figures 7-3, 7-4, and 7-5). The roll number, sheet number and the project number shall appear in the upper left-hand corner.

The Contractor shall be required to complete two types of maps of the same project area to fulfill the 1:500 scale with 0.5 meter contour mapping requirements unless stipulated otherwise by the NJDOT:

1:500 SCALE PLANIMETRIC MAP

1:500 SCALE TOPOGRAPHIC MAP 

When so ordered by the NJDOT, the final sheets to be incorporated into an official set of Contract Plans shall be not more than eight hundred -forty one millimeters long and five hundred ninety-four millimeters wide (841 MM  x 594 MM) between the outside edges.  The title block shall appear in the lower right-hand corner.  Each plan sheet shall be identical in size and material and shall be prepared in accordance with the SAMPLE PLAN SHEETS guidelines adopted by the NJDOT.

  1. General:  Each map sheet shall show all the cultural features in accordance with Table 5-1 where applicable to the 1:500 scale maps.  It will be the Contractor’s responsibility to show each required cultural feature in the position, orientation, shape and dimensions on the map sheet according to the following specifications:

     

    (1)               All structures with one or more horizontal dimensions of one and one half meters 1.5 M or more shall be drawn to scale and represented by the outlines of their foundations.  Such appurtenances as porches and steps shall be shown.  The common walls of attached buildings of varying heights shall be shown.  Structures of a temporary nature, such as picnic tables and construction sheds, shall not be shown.

     

    (2)               All fence lines, walls, hedges, curbs, utility poles, and outstanding trees with crown diameters greater than three meters (3.0 M)  (except in wooded areas) that are identifiable as such on aerial photographs, shall be shown.

     

    (3)               Regularly aligned roads shall be plotted using straightedge and uniformly curved drawing templates, and the rendering of such drawings shall be executed with special care.  Freehand or irregular-curve drawing shall be permitted only on meandering trails or roads of irregular alignment.

     

    (4)               All roads, walks, drives, railroad tracks and trails shall be shown to scale.  Curbed roadways shall have each pavement edge represented with solid double lines wherever there is curb.

     

    (5)               Paved roadways without curb or designated shoulder areas shall be represented with single solid lines defining each pavement edge.  Uncurbed roadways with designated shoulders shall be represented with uniformly dashed lines denoting the pavement edge wherever shoulder pavement is encountered.  Trails shall be indicated by a single, uniformly dashed line denoting the travel path.

     

    (6)               All power transmission and communication lines shall be shown to scale, together with their accompanying utility poles and tower bases where encountered.
  2.  

  3. Drainage:  When so defined by the contour layout, drainage lines shall be shown by a dash-and-three-dot symbol in all drainage features when such features are at least four hundred meters (400 M) in length.  All drainage lines shall be stopped at a distance of at least fifteen meters (15 M) from the ridge lines.  Streams averaging one & one half (1.5 M) or more wide shall be represented with double lines in the dash-and-three-dot format, one line for each shore.  The shorelines of small ponds shall also be represented by this symbol, and the interiors of these ponds shall be shown lightly crosshatched.  Large ponds, lakes, reservoirs and the like shall be lightly crosshatched twenty-five millimeters (25 MM) inside the shoreline.  Where drainage is known to exist which would otherwise be indicated by depressed contours, any culverts or other comparable drainage structures which can be identified as such on the aerial photographs, or are otherwise known to exist, shall be shown on the map.
  4.  

  5. Wooded Areas:  Woodland outlines shall be carefully and accurately delineated.  A cleared band of actual width shall be shown along all transmission and communication lines.  Woodland outlines must be positioned exactly, especially where the boundary is a road, railroad, transmission or communication line right-of-way.  Freestanding trees with crown diameters of three meters (3 M) or greater shall also be shown.
  6.  

  7. Relief:  Datum shall be the North American Vertical Datum of 1988 and relief shall be shown by one half meter (0.5 M) contour lines.  Each fourth contour shall be accentuated and numbered with its corresponding elevation, an appropriate multiple of two meters (2 M), above elevation numbers shall be shown along the contour line at intervals not to exceed quarter of a meter (0.25 M).

     

    Elevations of all saddles, high and low spots, roadway intersections, railroad and roadway at-grade crossings, shall be shown to the nearest one-hundredth of a meter (0.01 M+).  In depressions where drainage is indicated by structure, the contours shall not be shown as depressed contours,  Where elevations are interpolated because the ground is obscured in the aerial photographs, the corresponding contours shall be represented by uniformly dashed lines.
  8.  

  9. Coordinates:  Grid lines shall be represented as continuous solid lines from inside border to inside border at 75-meter intervals for a 1:500 plan and 45-meter intervals for a 1:300.   They shall conform to the criteria of the New Jersey State Plane Coordinate System and shall be labeled at the bottom and sides of each map sheet approximately twenty-five millimeters (25 MM) inward from the inside border.  The plotted position of each New Jersey State Plane Coordinate grid line shall not vary from the true grid position by more than three tenths of a millimeter (0.3 MM +) on each manuscript.

7-03.3  Accuracies

  1. Cultural Features:  Except for symbolized buildings, the plotted positions of  ninety percent (90%) of the cultural features shown shall be within three tenths of a meter (0.3 M)  of their actual corresponding positions in the field as located with respect to the New Jersey State Plane Coordinate System and to the North American Vertical Datum of 1988.  In no instance shall any error be greater than six tenths of a meter (0.6 M+).
  2.  

  3. Contours:  Ninety percent (90%) of all contour lines shall be correctly plotted to within half the contour interval (0.25 M), and the remaining ten percent (10%) shall not be in error by more than a whole contour interval (0.50 M) unless specified otherwise by the NJDOT.  A contour which can be brought within these tolerances by shifting its plotted position by sixty-four hundredths of a meter (0.64 M) will be accepted as being correctly plotted.
  4.  

  5. Spot Elevations:  Ninety percent (90%) of all spot elevations shall be accurately plotted to within one fourth the contour interval (0.125 M)  and the remaining ten percent (10%) shall not be in error by more than one half the contour interval (0.25 M).  As stipulated by the NJDOT, spot elevations may be required at the following locations:

     

    (1)               At 15 meter intervals along the centerlines of roadways and medians where they exist.

     

    (2)               At 15 meter intervals along the edges of roadway pavements and paved shoulders or gutter lines.

     

    (3)               In between contour lines that are more than 15 meters apart horizontally.

     

    (4)               On the grates of inlets and catch basins and on other drainage structures.

     

    (5)               At the bottom and top of curbs on grade-separated roadway structures.

     

    (6)               At other locations when so directed.

7-04     STANDARD ACCURACIES FOR PHOTOGRAMMETRIC MAPPING

Standard accuracies for photogrammetric mapping are listed in Table 7-1.

Table 7-1:       Standard Accuracies for Photogrammetric Mapping

SCALE

CONTOUR INTERVALS

CULTURAL FEATURES

CONTOURS*

SPOT ELEVATIONS

MAX. SHEET SIZE

 

1:2 000

two meters accentuate 10 meters contour

90% shall be within 1.5 M of the actual position; 10% shall not exceed 3.0 M of actual position.

90% shall not

exceed 1.0 M of the actual elevation; 10% shall not exceed 2.0 M of the actual elevation.

90% shall not exceed 0.5 M of the actual elevation; 10% shall not exceed 1.0 M of actual elevation.

1.5 M long and 0.75 M wide.

 

1:1 000

one meter accentuate

5 meters contour

90% shall be within 0.75 M of the actual position; 10% shall not exceed 1.5 M of the actual position.

90% shall not exceed 0.5 M of the actual elevation; 10% shall not exceed 1.0 M of the actual elevation.

90% shall not exceed 0.25 of the actual elevation; 10% shall not exceed 0.5 M of the actual elevation.

1.5 M long and 0.75 M wide

 

1:500 and 1:300

one-half meters (1:500) and one-fourth meters (1:300) accentuate every fourth.

90% shall be within 0.3 M of the actual position; 10% shall not exceed 0.6 M of the actual position.

90% shall not exceed 0.25 M of the actual elevation; 10% shall not exceed 0.50 M of the actual elevation.

90% shall not exceed 0.12 M of the actual elevation; 10% shall not exceed 0.25 M of the actual elevation.

1.5 M long and 1.0 M wide.

 

As determined

As determined

90% shall be within; 10% shall not exceed of the map scale actual position.

90% shall not exceed one half of the contour interval of the actual elevation; 10% shall not exceed one contour interval of the actual elevation.

90% shall not exceed one quarter of the contour interval of the actual elevation; 10% shall not exceed one half of the contour interval of the actual elevation.

As determined

 

*Note:

Contours may be shifted by sixty-four hundredths of a millimeter (0.64 MM) in order to achieve the vertical requirements.

FIGURE 7-1:   TYPICAL MANUSCRIPT SHEET LAYOUT 1:1 000 SCALE AND 1:2 000 SCALE MAPPING

FIGURE 7-2:   SAMPLE MARGIN DATA 1:1 000 SCALE AND 1:2 000 SCALE MAPPING

FIGURE 7-3:   TYPICAL MANUSCRIPT SHEET LAYOUT 1:500 SCALE AND 1:300 SCALE MAPPING

FIGURE 7-4:   SAMPLE TITLE FOR 1:300 SCALE TOPOGRAPHIC MAP

FIGURE 7-5:   SAMPLE TITLE FOR 1:500 SCALE  PLANIMETRIC MAP