Department of Transportation
for Road and Bridge Construction
NJDOT C-1 – Determining Yield of Concrete Produced by
Continuous-Mixing-Type Truck Mixers
- Scope. This test method is used to determine the yield of concrete that is proportioned volumetrically in a continuous-mixing-type truck mixer.
- Apparatus. The apparatus will consist of a 1/4-cubic yard container having dimensions of 36 × 36 × 9 inches. Construct the container using materials that do not become deformed when filled with concrete.
- Procedure. Perform the following steps:
- Set all controls of the mixer unit at the settings approved for the mix design being checked.
- Activate the mixer and discharge sufficient material to fill the mixing auger assembly and discharge chute. Then deactivate the mixing unit.
- Reset cement meter to zero and reactivate the mixer and discharge material into the 1/4-cubic yard container until it is level-struck full, making provision for the material settling into all corners.
- Record the count as shown on the cement meter.
- Calculation. Calculate the cement count that is equivalent to the amount of cement specified in the mix design for 1/4 cubic yard. Calculate the yield by dividing the actual cement count by the specified count and multiplying by 100. The result will be 100 ± 2 percent.
- Report. Report the yield to the nearest 0.1 cubic yard.
Last Document Correction:
December 14, 2007