DESIGNATING A BENEFICIARY
About Designations | Changing Desinations | For Employees | For Retirees | More Information
Upon the death of an employee or retiree, the Division of Pensions and Benefits will pay
any available death benefits to the last named beneficiary, or beneficiaries,
on file with the Division. It is, therefore,
very important to keep your beneficiary information
up to date.
For detailed information about designations of beneficiary
see: Fact Sheet #68, Designating a Beneficiary Adobe PDF (32K)
CHANGING YOUR BENEFICIARY
You should update your "Designation of
Beneficiary" any time you experience a major
life event such as marriage, civil union, divorce, dissolution
of a civil union or domestic partnership, birth
or adoption of a child, or the death of a spouse/partner,
child, or parent.
Employees can view beneficiary
using the online Designation of Beneficiary application in the Member Benefits Online System
Changes or updates to active employee beneficiaries must also be done using the online Designation of Beneficiary application in MBOS.
You must be registered
with MBOS to use the Designation of Beneficiary application.
Paper Designation of Beneficiary forms are no longer accepted from employees.
For most retirees the beneficiary for pension benefits is set at the time af retirement and cannot be changed.
However, retirees can update or change their beneficiary
designations for Group Life Insurance at any time by submitting a Designation of Beneficiary form Adobe PDF (35K) to the Division of Pensions and Benefits.
Retirees can verify their beneficiary designations by written request to:
Division of Pensions and Benefits
PO Box 295
Trenton, NJ 08625-0295
Note: Beneficiary information for retirees is not available on MBOS at this time.
These fact sheets contain additional information related to your designation of beneficiary.
- Fact Sheet #68, Designating a Beneficiary Adobe PDF (32K)
- Fact Sheet #10, Reporting a Death Adobe PDF (29K)
- Fact Sheet #48, Family Status Changes - Employees (All Funds) Adobe PDF (35K)
- Fact Sheet #49, Family Status Changes - Retirees (All Funds) Adobe PDF (33K)
- Fact Sheet #13, Conversion of Group Life Insurance (All Funds) Adobe PDF (41K)
- Fact Sheet #22, Waiver of Noncontributory Group Life Insurance over
$50,000 Adobe PDF (28K)
- Fact Sheet #42, Divorce, Dissolution of a Civil Union, and Your Retirement Benefits (All Funds) Adobe PDF (33K)
- Fact Sheet #9, Divorce and Your Deferred Compensation Plan Account Adobe PDF (29K)