***Effective May 2016, Business Assistance or Incentive Tax Clearance certificates may be requested through the State of New Jersey’s Premier Business Services (PBS) portal online.
Under the Tax & Revenue Center, select Tax Services, then select Business Incentive Tax Clearance.
If the applicant’s account is in compliance with its tax obligations and no liabilities exist, the Business Incentive Tax Clearance can be printed directly through PBS.
Need to create a PBS account?
Visit the Premier Business Services (PBS) portal and select New Users Only – Create an Account and follow instructions.
Detailed instructions are available
Questions regarding your PBS account may be directed to 609-292-9292 or email Premier Services Registration.
For individuals requiring a clearance
The Application for Business Assistance Tax Clearance must be completed, signed by the applicant and submitted to the Division of Taxation, at the address listed on the application. Payment must be made by check or money order. An application received without the fee will not be processed.
New Jersey law requires that a person or business obtain a tax clearance certificate from the New Jersey Division of Taxation before a grant, incentive or financial assistance or benefit can be issued by a department or agency of the State.
Business Assistance or Incentive Tax Clearance
certificates may be requested for the following State agencies:
Business Assistance and Incentive Clearance certificates may not
be used for any Division of Taxation License Renewal including:
- Board of Public Utilities (Clean Energy Program)
- Department of Community Affairs
- Department of Health
- Department of Labor & Workforce Development (Labor Training Programs)
- Economic Development Authority
- New Jersey Casino Reinvestment Development Authority
- New Jersey Commerce, Economic Growth & Tourism Commission
- New Jersey Commission on Science & Technology
- New Jersey Department of Children & Families
- New Jersey Department of Human Services
- New Jersey Department of Treasury (Angel Investor Tax Credit, Grow NJ Tax Credit)
- New Jersey Housing & Mortgage Finance Agency
- New Jersey Secretary of State
- liquor licenses
- cigarette licenses
- motor fuel licenses
- lottery agent applications
- UEZ applications
- DEP clearances
- DCA clearances
- MVC suspensions
- As a substitute for a Certificate of Good Standing
- As a substitute for a Tax Clearance Certificate for corporate tax matters (form A-5088-TC)
Questions regarding the Business Assistance or Incentive Clearances may be emailed to BusinessAssistanceTC.Taxation@treas.nj.gov.
NOTE: A Tax Clearance Certificate will only be issued to businesses or individuals who are registered with the New Jersey Division of Revenue. If you need more information regarding the registration process, proceed to the New Jersey Division of Revenue website .