About NJTA: Our Projects
New Jersey Turnpike
Newark Bay-Hudson County Extension Bridge Deck Reconstruction, Between Interchanges 14 and 14A
- Location: Essex and Hudson counties
- Description: The bridge deck is being replaced in two phases between Interchanges 14 and 14A
under ongoing Contract No. T100.034 and proposed Contract No. T100.184.
- Schedule: Construction on the first phase began in 2010 and is now substantially complete. Construction on the second phase is scheduled to begin in mid-2016 and be substantially completed by late 2020.
Newark Bay-Hudson County Extension Bridge Deck Reconstruction, Between Interchange 14C and Jersey Avenue
- Location: Hudson Counties
- Description: The bridge deck is being replaced in multiple phases along this 2.2 mile long viaduct between Interchange 14C and the eastern terminus at Jersey Avenue approaching the Holland Tunnel. The scope of work also involves structural strengthening and repairs, structural steel repainting, lighting and drainage improvements, and approach roadway repairs of the five viaduct and two ramp structures located within the project limits. The westbound roadway work was addressed under Contract No. T100.125, and the eastbound roadway work to the east of Interchange 14C will be addressed under the next Contract No. T100.321. Work at the remaining bridges will be addressed under a future contract.
- Schedule: Construction on the first phase, Contract No. T100.125, started in late 2012 and was completed in September 2016. Construction on the next phase, under Contract No. T100.321, is scheduled to start in late 2017 and be completed in late 2020.
- Further Information: For more information about the project, interested parties are invited to attend a Public Information Center on Jan. 31, 2017, from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the James J. Ferris High School, 35 Colgate Street, Jersey City. Additional details are available in the
handout prepared for that meeting.
Interchange 14A Improvements
- Location: Hudson County
- Description: The toll plaza will be widened from 11 to 13 lanes. The single-lane ramp from the interchange to the westbound Hudson County Extension will be widened to two lanes. The two-lane connector bridge between the interchange and Route 440, Route 185 and Port Jersey Boulevard will be replaced with a four-lane structure. A flyover ramp will be built to connect the interchange to Port Jersey Boulevard. The traffic signal at East 53rd Street will be eliminated. And a roundabout will be built to maintain access to the interchange.
- Schedule: Construction began in 2015 and is scheduled to be completed in 2018.
- Further Information: Project documents, traffic advisories, construction updates and a trove of other information is available on the project website, www.njta14a.com
» Back to Top
Garden State Parkway
Great Egg Harbor Bridge Improvements
- Location: Atlantic and Cape May counties
- Description: A new southbound span was built to the west of the existing southbound span over Great Egg Harbor and Drag Channel and the nearby Beesleys Point Bridge on Route 9 was demolished. Work is underway to rehabilitate the existing northbound span. The old southbound span will be demolished.
- Schedule: Construction of the new southbound span and demolition of the Beesleys Point Bridge were completed in 2016. The rehabilitation of the northbound span began in late 2016 and is scheduled to continue until 2019
Interchange 36 to 80 Widening
- Location: Atlantic, Burlington, and Ocean counties
- Description: The Parkway will be widened from two to three lanes in each direction.
- Schedule: The project is being built in phases. Construction on the first phase of the widening (adding a lane in each direction between Mileposts 63 and 80 and installing Express E-ZPass at the Barnegat Toll Plaza) was completed in May 2011. Construction on the second phase (adding a lane in each direction from Mileposts 48 to 63 and making grading and drainage improvements from mileposts 30 to 48) began in 2011. The new lanes were completed and fully opened to traffic in 2015. Construction on the third phase of the Widening (Mileposts 35 to 48) began in 2014 and is scheduled to be completed in 2018.
- Further information:
Garden State Parkway Widening Project /
Phase 3 Public Hearing Handout /
Phase 3 Public Hearing Record
Interchanges 36, 37 and 38 Improvements
- Location: Atlantic County
- Description: This project will improve traffic operations at these closely grouped interchanges by adding a
deceleration lane on the southbound Parkway and an acceleration lane on Tilton Road at Interchange 36 and by separating the
traffic entering the Parkway at Interchange 38 (Atlantic City Expressway) from traffic exiting the Parkway at Interchange 37
(Washington Avenue CR 608).
- Schedule: The interchange improvements are included in a construction contract awarded in October 2014. The project is scheduled to be completed in 2018.
- Further information:
Project Information Sheet /
Map of the Proposed Improvements /
Milepost 35 to Milepost 38 Public
Interchange 105 Improvements
- Location:Monmouth County
- Description: This project is intended to improve access to and from the Parkway at Interchange 105 as well as safety and operations at the Hope Road/NJ Route 36 intersection. The improvements include a new southbound connection from the Parkway outer roadway to Wayside Road, the addition of a second northbound deceleration lane from the Parkway outer roadway to
Interchange 105 and the reconstruction of the Hope Road/NJ Route 36 intersection.
- Schedule:The Hope Road / NJ Rte. 36 portion of the project was completed in 2015. Construction of the Wayside Road portion of the project began in 2015 and is expected to be completed in 2018.
- Further information:To learn more, please read the November 2012
Public Hearing Flyer.
- Location: Monmouth County
- Description: Interchange 109 is the connection between the Garden State Parkway and Newman Springs Road (CR 520). During peak travel periods, congestion causes traffic exiting onto northbound Newman Springs Road to back up from the exit ramp onto the northbound Parkway. The planned improvements include reconfiguring several intersections on Newman Springs Road; eliminating the existing eastbound jug handle at Half Mile Road; constructing an eastbound entrance loop ramp and bridge over Newman Springs Road to the northbound Parkway; adding lanes to Newman Springs Road; and replacing four functionally obsolete Parkway bridges over Newman Springs Road to accommodate the new lanes.
- Schedule: The project is in design. Construction is scheduled to begin in 2018.
- Further information: To learn more about the proposed project, please read the handout
from the April 2015 Public Information Center or see the following maps: Existing Conditions /
Academy Bus Routes /
Routes from Half Mile Road to Newman Springs Road /
Overall Preferred Alternative /
Preferred Alternative for Newman Springs Road
- Location: Middlesex County
- Description: This partial interchange will be completed to provide full access between the Parkway and Chevalier Avenue in Sayreville in order to accommodate existing traffic volumes and future growth resulting from the development of the waterfront. The work includes the replacement of bridges on the mainline of the Parkway, improvements to the local roadways, a new northbound Parkway entrance, a reconfigured southbound Parkway entrance, and a new southbound Parkway exit.
- Schedule: Construction began in 2016 and is scheduled to be completed in 2019.
- Further information: To learn more, please read the December 2015 Public Hearing Flyer.
Interchange 163 Improvements
- Location: Bergen County
- Description: In order to improve traffic operations, this project will relocate the exits onto Route 17 from the left side of the road to the right side of the road by realigning the Parkway into the existing median in the vicinity of Interchange 163.
- Schedule: Construction began in 2014 and is scheduled to be completed in 2017.
- Further information: To learn more, please see the Map of the Proposed Improvements, the Project Information Sheet. or the Public Hearing Record Report.
» Back to Top
» New Jersey Turnpike Authority Government Records Request