background shadows

NJ DCF Logo with reverse copy


New Jersey Department of Children and Families Policy Manual




Child Protection and Permanency

Effective Date:










General Fiscal



Travel Regulations



INTRODUCTION     9-10-2007

Currently, travel policies are subject to the Governor’s Travel Moratorium issued on November 29, 2004, the New Jersey Conflicts of Interest Law and DHS, DCF and Department of Treasury Regulations.

·         As used in these regulations, the word “employee” means any officer, employee, or other individual authorized to travel on official business of the State.


·         “Official Station” is the actual city location or headquarters provided by the State to which the employee is regularly assigned. The official station shall be designated by the Department Head. No reimbursements of transportation costs shall be allowed between the employee‘s official station and place of residence.


·         Travel routes are to be planned so that minimum amounts of travel and expense are involved in relation to the maximum number of inspections, field services and official activities.


·         Expenditures for official travel are reimbursable if they are incurred in accordance with these regulations. Department heads or their authorized representatives shall determine and certify by proper signature that sufficient funds are available for requested travel.


·         These regulations cover most travel requirements which arise in the normal operations of the State government. If situations arise which are not specifically authorized by these regulations or if exceptions to these regulations are required, the advance approval of the Director, Office of Management and Budget (OMB), is necessary. Such exceptions should be kept to a minimum.


·         Department administrators are obliged to see that these regulations are carried out properly.

For reimbursement for use of personal cell phones, see CP&P-IX-F-1-800.


FUNDS FOR TRAVELING EXPENSES             9-10-2007

Under normal conditions employees traveling on official business shall provide themselves with sufficient funds of their own for all current expenses. A Travel Expense Invoice (Form AR 54-2), with attendant receipts must be submitted to the Office of Accounting, within 30 working days of completed travel.



1.   Allowable travel expenses are confined to those which are essential to transacting the official business of the State. Expenses for laundry, valet service, entertainment, and others of similar nature are considered personal charges and shall not be reimbursed.

2.   Reimbursement for tips, gratuities and similar fees (other than for meals) are permitted, provided the amounts paid are within normally acknowledged standards.

3.   Reimbursement for sales taxes is authorized within the approved allowances for travel and subsistence.

4.   Mileage is not allowable for personal business which may include job interviews for other State agencies.

5.   Charges for handling, storage and checking of baggage at stations are authorized.

6.   Registration fees required as part of attendance at conventions, conference and official meetings are authorized, provided that prior approval is secured via the Form R.OA, Request for Official Reception Authorization Form (RORA).

7.   When necessary to engage a room in a hotel or other place in order to transact official business, a separate charge, therefore, is allowed when authorized by the Department Head or his authorized agent. (Prior approval via RORA Form process is required.)


TIME OF DEPARTURE AND ARRIVAL             7-1-2013

·         The time of arrival at and departure from a place is considered as the hour at which the train, airplane, boat, bus or other conveyance used by the traveler actually leaves or arrives at its regular terminal.


·         All requests to incur reimbursable expenses involving per diem allowances must state the time of departure from and return to official station. This information must also be furnished on the Travel Expense Invoice.

In order to ensure compliance with this requirement anyone submitting a Travel Expense Invoice that includes a line item for meal allowance due to overtime work, is required to include the following statement with full signature on the Travel Expense Invoice:

“I have worked at least 3 additional consecutive authorized hours beyond the normal work day claimed above. I did not receive compensation on either a cash or compensatory time basis and meet the requirements as stated in the State Travel Regulations.”

TRAVEL CLASS     9-10-2007

When it is necessary to assign an employee to another office headquarters or field tasks, the place to which the employee is assigned shall be designated by the Department Head as a temporary official work station. Transportation costs to such temporary official stations or work sites shall be reimbursable under one of the following travel class assignments:

For employees who are in Travel Class “A” and utilize ride sharing, the following applies:

Any State employee who utilizes mass transit facilities by purchasing weekly or monthly commutation tickets or who participates in a car pool as a daily, regular mode to commute to work shall not be required to make the usual commutation deduction when the employee’s immediate superior requests that the employee travel temporarily to another work site or assignment.

Only car pool participants or users of mass transit facilities who are requested by their supervisor to travel on official State business on an irregular, infrequent basis shall be reimbursed for the total cost, regardless of mode used, for reporting to the temporary work site or assignment.

In each case in which the exception is to be applied the following certification signed by the immediate supervisor and countersigned by their Area Business Manager must be included on the Travel Expense Invoice (Form AR-542):

“I hereby certify that the claimant normally travels to his regular place of employment  by mass transit facilities, using a weekly/monthly commutation ticket, or by car, van pool, and that no reduction of commuting costs results from the claimant‘s non-use of such facilities on the dates for which full mileage or other reimbursement is claimed.”




Travel Expense Invoices submitted must indicate either the Class “A,” “B”, or “C” status in the appropriate block of the form.

Travel on non-scheduled workdays or State holidays to anywhere other than the official work station is reimbursable from the employee’s home.



When an officer or employee who is absent from his official station on leave of absence either with or without pay, is ordered by the Governor or Department Head to return to an official station for temporary duty and later returns to the place where such order was received, a claim for reimbursement may be submitted for the travel expenses involved in reporting to the place of duty and returning to the point from which the employee was called. Recall of an employee to duty during a period of leave of absence shall be avoided, except in cases of extreme emergencies.


REQUEST FOR TRAVEL             9-10-2007

The Request for Travel Authorization, Form RT.1, is required whenever:

·         Air fare, Amtrak rail fare, or car rental services are involved, regardless of the cost


·         The employee contacts Vista Travel Services at its toll free 24-hour number, 1-800-526-2195, or 732-574-0782 for cost information and reservations. The service may also be reached via FAX at 732-388-2241. Vista will use Enterprise Rent-A-Car reserving compact cars, if available, and bills through the Department‘s account. The request for approval of such rentals must be accompanied by written justification. If an employee requests an upgrade, he or she will be responsible for the additional costs. Travel arrangements are not to be made through a private travel agency.


·         The most economical air travel must be used, including the use of discounted and special rates.


·         Overnight lodging is involved, regardless of total cost


·         If the request does not require airline or rail travel, but does require overnight stay, employees may reserve their own hotel room upon approval of the employee’s travel request by the Department. Employees must select hotels in the moderate or budget category where government rates are available.


·         The traveling employee is responsible for payment of all hotel and car rental bills, and must submit original itemized receipts with Form AR 54-2 for reimbursement.


·         Attending a conference or convention, staff training and seminars, regardless of cost


·         Prior Office of Training and Professional Development approval is required for conference attendance on Form HR-1, Request for Training. Also, a copy of a pamphlet, brochure, letter or similar material verifying the convention or conference must be submitted with the Request for Travel Authorization, Form RT.1.

Note:  If an event has a total cost that exceeds $5,000.00 regardless of the number of attendees, or more than five individuals from the Department are to attend, the approval of the Director, OMB, must be obtained.


·         Travel is outside United States boundaries, regardless of cost

NOTE:  Requests for Travel Authorization, Form RT.1, must arrive in the Office of Accounting at least 60 calendar days prior to the date of travel or event. Failure to meet this time frame may result in disapproval of the request and any arrangements made with vendors prior to the approval are conditioned upon such approval.



An Official Reception is defined as an event provided or conducted for the benefit of “non-state” employees.

The Department‘s Request for Official Reception Authorization (RORA), Form R.OA, is to be used to delineate event details and to solicit and record required approvals. The RORA is available from the Department’s Fiscal Office. Allowable costs for an event include meals, refreshments, room rental, set up charges, and any other directly related expenses. Generally, such expenses must be for the entertainment of groups, committees, task forces, and workshops whose participants are not employees of the department or agency sponsoring the function. To the extent that agency employees are participating members or are directly involved with the organization and conduct such meetings as workshop leaders or in some similar capacity essential to the conduct of the meeting, State appropriated funds may be used to pay their expenses.

Adequate documentation including quotes from vendors, event announcement or invitation, list of attendees, room rental contracts, etc., must be part of the official reception package.

Employees are encouraged to view the facilities that CP&P has contracts with at this web location:  See T0364.

Incomplete official reception requests will be returned to the Division/Office without processing.

OMB Circular 06-14-OMB, Entertainment, prohibits State agencies from expending public funds for the following:

·         Receptions or other social functions held for or honoring any employee or group of employees of the State (retirement, awards, appointments, etc.)


·         Meals or refreshments to be served to participants (other than students, patients or residents) or guests at any athletic event or other games or contests


·         Expenses for alcoholic beverages


Board, commission, council and organizational meetings are limited to light meals and refreshments. According to Treasury, “light meals and refreshments that can be offered at these meetings are defined as follows:

·         Morning: Beverages, i.e., coffee, tea, juice, water, soda; bagels, donuts, pastries, etc.


·         Lunch:  Beverages are the same as above; sandwiches, fruit or snacks”


The section below, extracted from OMB Circular 06-14, addresses the documentation required when expending public funds for entertainment, meals, and refreshments:

Agencies, boards, commissions, and councils should include the following information as part of the documentation to support entertainment events conducted by them:

·         A description of the entertainment activity, event or function

·         The purpose/justification of the entertainment, expressed in terms of the goal(s) or objective(s) of the agency or program under which the entertainment is being conducted

·         The make-up of the group participating in the entertainment

·         The names and titles of any State employees included in the group

Submit an official reception request at least 60 calendar days in advance (larger events require a minimum of 90-120 days’ notice) of the event in order to provide adequate time to receive approval and to address event requirements, e.g. contract of facilities, catering, etc.

Department of Children and Families‘ approval is made based on funding availability, proper supporting documentation and conformance with Circular Letter 06-14-OMB, Entertainment Meals and Refreshments.



·         The Request for Travel Authorization, Form RT.1, and the Request for Official Reception Authorization, Form R.OA, are the documents through which authorization for travel and official receptions are provided.


·         All travel forms (see below), other than Emergency Travel for Children submitted by units within DCF, are subject to review and approval by the respective Division’s Director, the Office of Accounting, and the DCF Chief of Staff.


·         If the travel is an exception to the Governor‘s travel moratorium, a Form RT.2, Request for Travel Exception, must also be completed and sent to the Office of Accounting for review. This form requires the Governor’s Office approval.


·         In cases where an exception to the current travel policies is requested, review and approval must also be obtained by the Department of Treasury‘s Office of Management and Budget (OMB).


·         It is imperative that the specified time requirements for travel forms are fully observed.











1.  Identify need for travel or official reception in memorandum to Division Director.

2.  Complete Request for Official Reception, Form R.OA, or Travel Request Authorization, Form RT.1.

3.  Complete a CP&P Form 16-76, Special Approval Request (SAR) in NJS (for travel authorization).

4.  Attach supporting documentation, e.g., justification memorandum, list of attendees (80% non-state), agenda, quotes for services/items related to function, invitation, meal requirements, etc.

5.  Send to DCF Senior Staff member for approval.

DCF Senior Staff Member

6.  If approved, send package to the Office of Accounting with signatures on the RORA or Travel Request Authorization, Form RT.1, and the SAR.

Office of Accounting


7.  If funds are available, assign account number, sign, date and forward to DCF Purchasing Office or DCF Chief Financial Officer (CFO).

8.  If funds are not available, return package to Division Director with written explanation.

DCF Purchasing Office

9.  Review official reception package for completeness.

10. If package is incomplete, send copy of RORA form and written explanation to the Office of Accounting and return original package to the requestor through the Division Director with written explanation.

11. If complete, Purchasing Supervisor signs, dates and forwards RORA or Travel Request Authorization, Form RT.1, package to DCF Chief Financial Officer (CFO) for approval.

Office of DCF Chief Financial Officer - Official Reception/Travel Coordinator

12. Review package for completeness and obtain CFO approval signature and date. Forward to DCF Chief of Staff.

13. If not approved, make a copy for the office and send a copy of the RORA form to Purchasing and Accounting and return original package to the requestor through the Division Director with a written explanation.

DCF Chief of Staff

14. Notify CFO of approval or non-approval.



15. Make a copy of approved package and send original to Purchasing for processing of purchase orders, if necessary, with a copy of the approval to Office of Accounting.


Note:  Prior approval from the Office of Training and Professional Development is required for entertainment costs when a CP&P office plans to sponsor a conference with community groups for the purpose of networking, training, or information exchanging.



Normal Work Hours (8:30 am to 5:30 pm):

·         Contact Vista Travel Services at 1-800-526-2195 or 732-574-0782, FAX: 732-388-2242 to obtain air/Amtrak schedules and reservations when a need for emergency travel arises during normal work hours. Enterprise car rentals are also made through Vista Travel. Do not contact a private travel agency.


·         Car Rental - Vista Travel also reserves compact car rentals with Enterprise Rent A Car and bills through the Department’s account. If an employee requests an upgrade, he or she will be responsible for the additional costs.


·         Provide Vista Travel Services with all the necessary information including reason for the emergency travel, arrival and departure cities, date of travel, etc.


·         Vista Travel Services provides cost estimates and reservations and arranges for tickets to be issued. The cost estimates and arrangements are then entered on the Request for Travel Authorization, Form RT.1.


·         The employee immediately prepares a separate Request for Travel Authorization, Form RT.1, for each traveler. This document must fully explain the nature of the emergency and contain confirmation that arrangements were made through Vista Travel Services.


For further information, see CP&P Form 16-107, Emergency Travel Check List.

NOTE:  Travel advances are not available for emergency situations.

After Hours (before 8:30am or after 5:30 pm):

·         For changes on the road or after normal business hours use the After Hours Emergency Travel Center Phone toll free number, 1-888-881-5274 inside the U.S.A., mentioning the access code AJF3.  For changes while outside of the U.S.A., call collect at 1-715-341-3999 using the same access code, AJF3.



1.         Mileage allowance in lieu of all actual expenses of transportation is allowed to an employee traveling by his own automobile on official business at the rate authorized by law, provided such mode of travel is previously approved by the Department Head or an authorized agent.

2.         Parking and toll charges are allowed in addition to mileage allowance.

3.         Reimbursement for travel to points outside the state by automobile shall be permitted when such arrangements prove to be more efficient and economical than other means of public transportation.

4.         Use of a personally-owned car on a mileage basis is not permitted where a State-owned car is available.

5.         All employees using privately-owned cars in the performance of their duties for the State of New Jersey must present a State of New Jersey Insurance Identification Card indicating that insurance coverage is in full force and effect with companies approved by the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance. The card must be made available to the Department Head or his authorized agent before authorization is given to employees to use their privately-owned cars.

6.         Employees who are out-of-state residents must provide appropriate insurance identification in lieu of the New Jersey Insurance Identification Card.

7.         Reimbursement for expenses will be based only on charges that do not exceed what would have been incurred by using the most direct, economical and usually traveled route. In any case where a person travels by indirect route for personal convenience, the extra expense must be borne by the individual.



1.      One-day trips which do not involve overnight lodging are not eligible for reimbursement and are not covered by policy.

2.      Allowable Per Diem Reimbursements:

    a.     For all official business travel, allowable per diem reimbursement for housing and meals will be actual reasonable costs, not to exceed the Federal Per Diem Rates. The Federal Per Diem Rates are published on the Federal Internet Website,, and updated periodically. Lodging expenses may exceed the Federal Per Diem Rates if the hotel is the site of the convention, conference, seminar or meeting, and the going rate of the hotel is in excess of Federal Per Diem Rates. (A justification memo is required stating the extenuating circumstance.)

    b.     Original itemized receipts are required for hotel expenses and meal expenses. Actual meal expenses are reimbursed up to the Federal Meal Per Diem Rate. Employees are no longer entitled to meal allowances without supplying the required meal receipts. No credit card receipts will be accepted.

     c.    Employees shall patronize hotels and motels which offer special rates to government employees unless alternative lodging offers greater cost benefits or is more advantageous to the conduct of State business. Information on special rates for State employees may be obtained from the Contracted Travel Services Office.

     d.    When lodging is shared jointly with others, this fact shall be stated on the Travel Expense Invoice. Reimbursement is limited to the traveler‘s proportionate share of the cost.

     e.    Reimbursement is approved for the full cost of an official convention meal that the employee attends when such meal is scheduled as an integral part of the convention or conference proceedings. If a meal or meals are included in the registration fee, the allowance for said meal or meals is not eligible for reimbursement.

     f.     Personal charges appearing on a hotel bill shall be deducted and the deduction shown on the bill.

     g.    Charges for alcoholic beverages are not reimbursable.

     h.    No reimbursement is made for meals served as part of transportation accommodations when the cost is included in the transportation charge.


OVERTIME MEAL ALLOWANCE            9-10-2007

1.         Overtime Meal Allowance is authorized for meals, including tip and sales taxes, if required. The following rates of reimbursement will be used:


$ 5.00





Midnight Breakfast


2.        When an employee is authorized or assigned hours of work beyond the normal work day, and has completed a CP&P Form 8-87*, Overtime Authorization Form, signed by the requesting supervisor and the Local Office Manager, and performs at least three such additional consecutive hours of work that are not otherwise compensated for at premium rates on either a cash or compensatory time basis, then such employees may be provided the meal reimbursement appropriate for the circumstances from the schedule above.



·         When either of two meals can be construed as appropriate, reimbursement shall be made for the less costly meal.


·         The three hours of eligibility shall not include the time utilized for a meal break or for travel associated with the meal break.


·         The hours of the normal work day and actual hours worked must be shown on the travel expense voucher, when requesting meal reimbursement.


·         Noon-day lunch is not authorized except:


·         When such meal is normally provided at the official station as part of the regular salary.


1.  When an employee is required to work overtime on Saturday, Sunday or a State holiday.


2.  Breakfast is allowed when an employee whose regular work day begins between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. and performs a total of at least three hours of overtime not compensated at premium rates in that day.


3.  Overtime Work on Saturdays, Sundays, or State Holidays - Breakfast, lunch and dinner allowance is authorized if an employee, whose normal work week is Monday through Friday, works on a Saturday or Sunday or State holiday, and is not compensated at premium rates on either a cash or compensatory time basis, e.g., an employee, whose normal work hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday, works 7:00 a.m. (2 hours prior to 9:00 a.m.) - 8:00 p.m. (3 hours beyond 5:00 p.m.) on a Saturday, Sunday or State holiday is entitled to breakfast ($5.00), lunch ($7.00) and dinner ($10.00). A minimum of 13 consecutive hours would  be required to be reimbursed for the three meals. An employee who works 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. on  a Saturday, Sunday or State holiday would only be entitled to the lunch allowance ($7.00).


Note:  Forms marked by an asterisk (like such*) are obsolete. See Human Resources   “Forms” and “Policies” posted on the DCF INTRANET; access via the DCF Home Page.



1.    The Travel Expense Invoice shall be used by State employees to make claims for reimbursement of travel expenses. Persons not considered regular State employees, such as board members, prospective employees and outside vendors, shall make claims for reimbursement of travel expenses on a State of New Jersey Payment Voucher (Vendor Invoice), PV 6/93.


2.    Original receipts are required for all reimbursable expenses except for parking meters.

Note:  Parking meters should only be used when there are no parking lots/garages in the area.


3.    The travel expense voucher shall show the dates and individual points of travel, number of miles traveled between such points and kind of conveyance used. If the distance traveled between any given points is greater than the usual route between these points, the reason for the greater distance must be stated.


4.    4When travel is authorized in the employee’s own automobile on a mileage basis, the points between which travel was made and the distance traveled between each place must be shown in the travel expense voucher.


5.    A statement as to the ownership of the automobile or other conveyance used as well as a certification that liability insurance is in effect, must be made on the Travel Expense Invoice.


6.    Unless otherwise approved, Travel Expense Invoices are submitted monthly to the DCF Office of Accounting. Send these invoices by the tenth day of the month following the end of the month for which the expenditure was incurred.


7.    If the total of the monthly expenses does not exceed $10.00, it shall be carried over to the following month, unless the employee does not expect to incur travel expenses in the following month, has been or is about to take a leave of absence, or whose employment has been or is about to be terminated. At the close of the fiscal year, however, even though the amount is less than $10.00, a voucher must be submitted since expenses cannot be carried forward into the next Fiscal Year.


8.    The invoice shall be filled out completely, each expense item shall be listed chronologically and in the proper column, and the totals carried forward as required. Failure to complete the invoice in full will mean delay in reimbursement of expenses.


CERTIFICATION OF TRAVEL EXPENSE INVOICES                        9-10-2007

Every State official or employee incurring reimbursable travel expenses covered by these regulations must complete a Travel Expense Invoice on which she/he shall declare that the invoice is correct in all respects, that the distances charged have been actually and necessarily traveled, that the amount charged was actually paid and that the expenses were incurred on State business. Certification of a Travel Expense Invoice by the Division‘s approval officer is an indication that the expense items were checked and verified, are in conformity with the travel regulations and are approved for payment.

The signatures of the employee and supervisor must be original. No photocopies or faxes will be accepted.


REIMBURSEMENT                        1-12-2017

In order to be reimbursed, the State of New Jersey requires completion of the W-9, Vendor Questionnaire, to verify establish your name, address and taxpayer ID on State Records. The Form W-9, Vendor Questionnaire, is sent by the Office of Accounting to a new employee vendor or to an employee vendor who is submitting an initial Travel Expense Invoice.

The completed Form W-9, Vendor Questionnaire, is forwarded to the Office of Accounting and then faxed to OMB Vendor Control Unit, Department of Treasury.

Website for Vendor Questionnaire:


Forms must be submitted within three months of the date of the earliest travel listed on the reimbursement form, or by July 15, whichever is earlier.


Employees complete form AR-542, Travel Expense Invoice, to request reimbursement for travel expenses.

Persons who are not State employees complete Form PV 6/93, State of New Jersey Payment Voucher.

All original receipts and any supporting documentation must be securely attached to the Travel Expense Invoice or Payment Voucher. To avoid receipts becoming detached or lost, receipts may be placed in a sealed envelope and the envelope stapled to the Travel Expense Invoice or Payment Voucher. The Office of Accounting will not process a Travel Expense Invoice or Payment Voucher that lacks the appropriate receipts.

The mileage reimbursement rate is $.31 per mile. The DCF Office Accounting sends out notification of changes in this rate.

Whenever an employee has a problem regarding a rejected Travel Expense Invoice, he/she should contact the Office of Accounting.



A memo of notification is required whenever an employee has a name change, new address, or social security number correction. The memo should be prepared by the affected employee and addressed to the Manager, Office of Accounting. The memo should explain the exact change, i.e., a social security number change should reference the old number and the new number, an address change should list the old address and the new address.

This memo is attached to the Travel Expense Invoice when submitted and will be forwarded, by the DCF Office of Accounting, to the Department of Treasury.



1.         Form RT.1, Request for Travel Authorization

2.         Form R.OA, Request for Official Reception Authorization

3.         CP&P Form 16-86, Request Form for Travel Class “B”

4.         CP&P Form 16-87, Request Form for Travel Class “C”

5.         Travel Expense Invoice (Form AR 54-2):  May be accessed and completed electronically at this web location:

6.         CP&P Form 16-76, Special Approval Request:  NJ SPIRIT

7.         W-9, Vendor Questionnaire:

8.         CP&P Form 16-106, Request for Reimbursement for Emergency Gas Purchases

9.         Form RT.2, Request for Travel Exception or

10.       CP&P Form 8-87*, Overtime Authorization Request Form

11.       CP&P Form 16-107, Emergency Travel Checklist

Note:  Forms marked by an asterisk (like such*) are obsolete. See Human Resources “Forms” posted on the DCF INTRANET; access via the DCF Home Page.