background shadows

NJ DCF Logo with reverse copy


New Jersey Department of Children and Families Policy Manual




Child Protection and Permanency

Effective Date:



Special Interest Topics



Interstate Services




Out-of-State Placements



Placement and Supervision of Children Outside of New Jersey


Placement Decision and Supervision  2-6-2006


The OSA report and recommendations are reviewed by the Worker and Supervisor. If the placement resource has been approved by the receiving State Compact Administrator, and the decision is made to place the child, travel arrangements for the child are made with the prospective caregiver or OSA, as appropriate. If board payments will be provided, the method of payment is explained to the caregiver.  Provide information about how to obtain medical and/or other special services for the child in the receiving state. See CP&P-V-A-2-600, Medicaid Coverage for IV-E Children Moving out of or Into New Jersey. For non IV-E eligible children, see CP&P-V-A-2-700, Medicaid Coverage for Children Placed Out-of-State.


The Local Office promptly notifies the Interstate Services Unit of the date of placement so that supervision and periodic reports may be requested from the receiving state. The Interstate Services Unit notifies the receiving state of the placement date and requests courtesy supervision by preparing and forwarding the ICPC 100B, Interstate Compact Report on Child's Placement Status.


In general, an evaluation and commitment for post-placement supervision is a prerequisite to placement. The frequency of reports and length of supervision varies according to the type of placement being considered (i.e., "free placement", "foster home paid placement", or "placement with parent") as well as the child's adjustment to his new placement.


The OSA provides supervision for as long as needed while CP&P retains legal jurisdiction and responsibility for the placement. See CP&P-VIII-D-3-100, Article V in the attachment. Under the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children, CP&P must obtain custody of the child, an Order of Compliance, or an Article VI Court Order (see CP&P-VIII-D-3-1300) for a juvenile adjudicated delinquent.  An order is needed because other states are reluctant to accept parental consent -- i.e., the Division's Residential Placement Agreement, CP&P Form 25-59 or a Consent to Independent Living, CP&P Form 10-8 -- as the sole authority for placement.


Reports are customarily requested to be forwarded on a quarterly basis. If board payments are being provided, supervision must continue until the child reaches the age of majority, is adopted, or other permanent plans are established/achieved. Placements may be subject to child placement review. See New Jersey Children in Placement Out-of-State in CP&P-IV-A-3-200, Child Placement Review. The case cannot be closed without the concurrence of the OSA and the Interstate Services Unit.


If the OSA refuses to provide supervision for the child for some reason, approval to proceed with the placement is requested from the Local Office Manager and the Interstate Services Unit.


Procedures Related to Placement Decision   3-27-2000




Worker and Supervisor

1.    Review OSA report and recommendations.

2.    Determine if placement resource will be used and confirm LO Manager’s approval for board payments if needed.


3.    Arrange placement date upon receipt of necessary approvals.

4.    Ensure that long-form birth certificates or other documentation is available to establish relationship for WFNJ/TANF and Medicaid applications.

5.    Ensure Title IV-E eligibility is determined. Enclose determination in referral packet.

Worker and Supervisor

6.    Notify Interstate Services Unit:

·      of placement date, or

·      that placement will not be used.

Interstate Services Unit Supervisor/Consultant

7.    Review and forward notification from the LO.  Prepare ICPC 100B and forward to receiving state along with the notification.

Worker and Clerk

8.    Record new address and update NJS.

9.    Create a foster home file which contains the out-of-state foster home documents.


Board Payments    9-14-84


Board payments and clothing allowances may be authorized or continued with the written approval of the Local Office Manager when:


·         a child is moving out-of-state with a foster family; or

·         a relative residing in another state is approved for placement of a child, but is not eligible for TANF in the receiving state as determined by the out-of-state agency; or, if eligible per CP&P-IV-D-1-100, chooses to receive board rather than receive TANF; or

·         a non-related person residing in another state is approved for placement of a child, but requires financial assistance.

Approval for board payments must be obtained before the placement is affected.  Under the Circumstances and Justification heading on the Special Approval Request, CP&P Form 16-76, include:


·         an indication of parental consent, if needed,

·         any special needs or problems of the child, and

·         specification for visits between the child and the natural parents, if appropriate.

Procedures Related to Board Payments                     9-14-84





1.    Complete CP&P Form 16-76, Special Approval Request, to establish or continue board payments.


2.    Review and forward CP&P Form 16-76 to Local Office Manager.

Local Office Manager

3.    Review and sign Special Approval Request, if appropriate.

Worker and Clerk

4.    Update NJS.


Child Placement Review              2-6-2006


In accordance with the established procedures and time frames of the Child Placement Review Act, the appropriate county court/Child Placement Review Board is notified when out-of-state placements subject to review occur. The following types of placement are subject to review:


·         a court-ordered placement;

·         a change in boarding placements; and

·         a movement of the boarding family with the child to another state.

The CP&P Worker and Supervisor advise the out-of-state agency of the frequency of reports needed to comply with the regulations of the Child Placement Review Act within the designated time frames when they complete the ICPC 100A. The Interstate Services Unit completes the ICPC 100B to advise the out-of-state agency of the placement date which is notification that the other state must begin the schedule of progress reports.


Through the Interstate Services Unit, CP&P obtains information from the out-of-state agency about the child's adjustment and placement situation. The Worker and Supervisor then forward this information to the court and the Child Placement Review Board.


If additional information is needed, the Worker and Supervisor request it by sending to the Interstate Services Unit, in triplicate, a letter addressed to the out-of-state agency.


If the child is placed in an out-of-state placement that is no longer subject to court review, or the child is terminated from supervision, CP&P takes the steps which are necessary to discharge the case. The court is so advised.


See section entitled New Jersey Children in Placement Out-of-State in CP&P-IV-A-3-200.


Procedures Related to Request for Information for Child Placement Review  3-27-2000





1.            Complete the ICPC 100A when arranging placement to advise the out-of-state agency of the frequency of reports required for Child Placement Review.

2.            Notify the court/Child Placement Review Board regarding out-of-state placement, when appropriate.

3.            Review the OSA reports to obtain information for initial/annual Child Placement Review.

4.            Prepare, in triplicate, a letter to the out-of-state agency requesting additional information, if required.


5.            Sign and forward the letter, in triplicate, to Interstate Services Unit for transmittal to out-of-state agency.

Interstate Services Unit

6.            Review and forward letter to out-of-state agency.

7.            Review and forward reply from out-of-state agency to Local Office.


8.            Review reply from out-of-state agency.


9.            Complete report for Child Placement Review.


Payment of Education Cost for a Foster Child in an Out-of-State Public School         3-27-2000


The State of New Jersey may assume fiscal responsibility for the cost of tuition for a foster child to attend public school in another state when the other state's school district requests payment and the N.J. Department of Education determines that the district of residence is out-of-state. The amount of tuition paid is determined by the N.J. Department of Education based upon an established formula.


When the school district in the other state requests tuition payment, the Worker and Supervisor forward to the Statewide Operations, CP&P Liaison to the Department of Children and Families' Office of Education, the following information:


·         a copy of the tuition payment request; and

·         a completed CP&P Form 25-65, Department of Education School District Determination.

The CP&P Liaison forwards this information through the Department of Children and Families' Office of Education, to the Department of Education for disposition. The Department of Education notifies the Department of Children and Families' Office of Education of the determination.


When the district of residence for the child is identified as out-of-state, the DCF Office of Education makes the necessary arrangements for tuition payments to be made to the out-of-state school district and informs the CP&P Liaison. The CP&P Liaison informs Interstate Services Unit and the LO of the decision.


If the child in an out-of-state foster home is subsequently adopted, (including subsidized adoption), the obligation to pay tuition ceases at the time of finalization. The Worker notifies Statewide Operations' CP&P Liaison to the DCF Office of Education, when an adoption is finalized and the State of New Jersey is making tuition payments to an out-of-state school district.


Procedures Related to Payment for Educational Services for a Foster Child in an Out-of-State School           3-27-2000





1.    Review out-of-state agency or school request for education tuition.


2.    Complete and sign CP&P Form 25-65, Department of Education School District Determination.


3.    Review for accuracy and sign completed form.

4.    Forward completed form with copy of the tuition request from the other state to Statewide Operations, CP&P Liaison to the DCF Office of Education.

CP&P Liaison to the DCF Office of Education

5.    Review completed form and forward to Department of Children and Families' Office of Education.

DCF Office of Education

6.    Review completed form and forward to Department of Education.

Department of Education

7.    Determine child's district of residence for tuition payment purposes.

8.    Inform DCF Office of Education of determination.

DCF Office of Education

9.    Inform CP&P Liaison to DCF Office of Education of the determination.

10. Arrange for tuition payment to be made to the out-of-state district, when determined appropriate.

CP&P Liaison to the DCF

11. Inform Interstate Services Unit and the Local Office of the Department of Office of Education, Education disposition.


12. Inform CP&P Liaison to the DCF Office of Education when a foster child for whom tuition is being paid is adopted.