Governor Phil Murphy • Lt.Governor Sheila Oliver
NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs  
State of New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
State of New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
DEP Home | About DEP | Index by Topic | Programs/Units | DEP Online 
news releases

April 15, 2004

Contact: Fred Mumford
(609) 984-1795

Soil Removal Project Begins at Marlboro Township Superfund Site

(04/37) TRENTON- Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Commissioner Bradley M. Campbell today announced the start of a $5.8 million soil cleanup this month at properties adjacent to the Imperial Oil Superfund site in Marlboro Township.

"Today marks the beginning of a long overdue hazardous waste cleanup made necessary by years of improper hazardous waste disposal practices," said Commissioner Campbell. "While the majority of this work is funded by federal Superfund money, additional cleanup is needed, and without federal leadership to establish a stable source of funding many hazardous waste sites, like Imperial Oil, remain in jeopardy of ever being fully remediated."

DEP will hold a public information session for residents and local officials from 3 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, April 20 to discuss details of the cleanup. The meeting will be held at the Marlboro Township Municipal Courtroom, 1979 Township Drive.

More than 18,000 cubic yards of contaminated sediment and soil will be removed from Birch Swamp Brook and adjacent properties between the Imperial Oil site and Texas Road. Restoration of the brook and adjacent properties will follow in phases upon completion of excavation work. The contamination includes: polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), arsenic, lead and total petroleum hydrocarbons. Constant real-time air monitoring will be conducted throughout the construction project to ensure proper dust control.

Industrial operations began in 1912 at the 15-acre Imperial Oil site when arsenic compounds were manufactured. An oil reclamation facility operated from 1950 to 1969 removing metals and PCBs from waste oil. Since 1969, the Imperial Oil Company has blended and repackaged unused oil at the site. The site was added to the National Priorities List of Superfund sites in 1983. DEP funds 10 percent of the overall cleanup costs at Superfund sites, while the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency provides the remaining 90 percent.

DEP expects to complete a remedial design for removal of an additional 83,000 cubic yards of contaminated soil from the Imperial Oil facility in January 2005. At that time, a request for federal funding will be submitted to allow construction to begin.

Residents with questions about the cleanup should call DEP's community relations office at 800-253-5647.




News Releases: DEP News Home | Archives
Department: NJDEP Home | About DEP | Index by Topic | Programs/Units | DEP Online
Statewide: NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs

Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2019

Last Updated:

Last Updated: January 6, 2005