navigation bar
DEP Graphic  
Division of Parks and Forestry Graphic
parks home njdep home
A Sovereign State
Naming the Indian King Tavern
Tavern Life
A Symbol of Statehood
The Men Behind the Design
Visit Indian King Tavern
Historic Sites Centennial


The Indian King Tavern takes its name from another tavern that was built in Haddonfield in the mid-1750’s. Sarah Norris opened a tavern near Potter Street and called it the Indian King, after the Lenni Lenape Indian chiefs whose tribes once occupied the area. She placed a bold profile of a Lenape chief on her tavern sign, making it one of the most recognized symbols in the town.

Norris’s tavern was eventually taken over by a woman named Mary French who later married local businessman Hugh Creighton. In 1777, the couple bought the large tavern across the street and transferred the name “Indian King” to their new establishment. The Indian King was now the largest tavern in Haddonfield. Its name remains unchanged today.


bottom footer

parks and forestry: find a park | forestry | forest fire | natural lands | education | historic sites| historic preservation
department: njdep home | about dep | index by topic | programs/units | dep online
statewide: njhome | citizen | business | government | services A to Z | departments | search

Copyright State of New Jersey, 1996-2021
Department of Environmental Protection
P. O. Box 402
Trenton, NJ 08625-0402

Last Updated: June 19, 2008

nj home citizen business government services a to z departments dep home contact dep privacy notice legal statement accessibility statement nj home