“Here memory lingers to recall the guiding mind whose daring plan outflanked the foe and turned dismay to hope…”
The Princeton Battle Monument commemorates the January 3, 1777, Battle of Princeton and depicts General George Washington leading his troops to victory and the death of General Hugh Mercer.
Commissioned in 1908, the Monument was designed by the prominent Beaux Arts sculptor Frederick MacMonnies with the assistance of architect Thomas Hastings. President Warren G. Harding was present for the 1922 dedication of the Monument.
Frederick William MacMonnies (1863 – 1937) was the best known expatriate American sculptor of the Beaux-arts School. He was equally as successful and lauded in France as he was in the United States. MacMonnies died at age 73 in New York City.
Facilities for People with Disabilities
We encourage people with disabilities who require special considerations to contact the historic site / park at the phone number listed in the general information on the home page of the historic site / park. The staff will assist with arrangements. Text telephone (TT) users, please call the NJ Relay Services at (800) 852-7899.
For the Comfort and Enjoyment of All
This historic site / park is part of the NJ State Park system and your cooperation with the following will help ensure the survival of the museum collections, historic structures & features and surrounding property for the enjoyment and education of future generations!
Please contact this historic site / park with specific inquiries about any of these restrictions, as there may be some variations at this specific historic site / park.
55 Stockton St, Princeton, NJ 08540
500 Mercer Road, Princeton, NJ 08540
Grounds Hours Sunrise to Sunset
Entrance Fee None