New Jersey Student Learning Standards
- Science Model Curriculum: Educator committees developed science units and courses for Kindergarten through grade 12.
- OpenSciEd: A multistate effort to develop freely accessible and open science course materials for grades 6-8.
Evaluating Lessons, Units, and Science Programs
- NGSS Lesson Screener: The NGSS Lesson Screener is intended to more quickly review a learning sequence to see if it is on the right track. It is intended to be used in more informal reviews (no scoring) and is only for evaluating instruction that extends over several class periods or days.
- EQuIP Rubric for Science: The EQuIP Rubric provides criteria by which to measure the alignment and overall quality of lessons and units with respect to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS). The purpose of the rubric and review process is to: (1) provide constructive criterion-based feedback to developers; (2) review existing instructional materials to determine what revisions are needed; and (3) identify exemplars/models for teachers' use within and across states.
- Science Program Rubric: The Science Program Rubric is designed to help teams of educators answer the following questions. To what extent is the science program consistent with the letter, spirit, and intent of the New Jersey Student Learning Standards for Science?; and What should our goal(s) be for continued improvement?
- Examples of NJSLS-S Designed Instructional Resources. This website provides examples of high quality lessons and units. The objective is not to endorse a particular curriculum, product or template, rather to identify lessons and units that best illustrate the cognitive demands of the NJSLS-S.
- Phenomena for NJSLS-S: Instructional sequences should be based on compelling natural phenomena (in science) or work on meaningful design problems. This resource provides example of phenomena that educators can use as the foundation of their units.
- bioGraphic: A multimedia magazine powered by the California Academy of Sciences. The magazine showcases both the wonder of nature and the most promising approaches to sustaining life on Earth. This resource can be used to spark student conversations, generate curiosity, and serve as phenomena for units and lessons.
Unburdening Your Curriculum
Equity and Access
- Bilingual/ESL Education: This website provides resources to help educators understand and implement effective instructional strategies for bilingual/ESL students.
- Gifted & Talented: This website provides resources to help educators understand and implement effective instructional strategies for Gifted and Talented students.
- Special Education: This website provides resources to help educators understand and implement effective instructional strategies for students with high frequency learning challenges.