New Jersey Student Learning Standards
U.S. Senate Youth Program
Two New Jersey students will be selected as delegates by an esteemed panel to represent the State of New Jersey at the week-long Washington Week program (March 5-12, 2022) and receive a one-time undergraduate college $10,000 scholarship.
Student candidates must:
- Meet the eligibility requirements
- Be the school's sole nominee and obtain the principal's signature on the 2021-2022 Statement of Assurance
- Follow the directions listed on the 2021-2022 New Jersey Application Criteria;
Complete the online 2021-2022. New Jersey Application Form (sample application for reference only)
- Provide a two-page student essay, double spaced, using Times New Roman size 12 font with one-half inch margins, describing:
- Leadership experiences in a student government, civic or educational organization;
- Involvement in community, civic engagement and public service activities;
- Ways in which your passions, motivation or creativity contribute to your school or community;
- Interest in and desire to learn more about this country's government, history and political processes;
- Provide a one-page resume describing awards and accomplishments, after-school activities, work experiences, and service to school and community (use Times New Roman size 12 font with one-half inch margins);
- Provide a press paragraph that should describe student's other leadership positions (not position used to qualify for USSYP), academic honors, community service, school and extracurricular activities, and future plans for college and career. Paragraph should use third person and be no longer than 600 characters (may be used for media purposes).
- Provide a letter of recommendation from the principal; and a letter of recommendation from the class, student council or organization advisor. Letters should be on letterhead with principal/advisor's name, title, and signature. Information about student's specific accomplishments as well as evidence of leadership and motivation should be included in recommendation letter.
- Application packets must be received by October 11, 2021. No faxed copies accepted – no exceptions allowed.
- If any of the components or information is missing from the final application packet, the application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
- If a high school submits more than one nomination, neither nomination will be considered.
- Time constraints will not allow for return of applications for correction or completion.