The management, marketing and operations of restaurants and other food services, lodging, attractions, recreation events and travel related services.
- Recreation, Amusement & Attractions
- Restaurants & Food/Beverage Services
- Travel & Tourism
NJ Career & Technical Education Standards
Approved CTE Programs
NJ Eligible Program Information Chart
Career Cluster® Lead
Office of Career Readiness
Resources provided are for your reference. The New Jersey Department of Education does not endorse any resources.
Labor Market Information
New Jersey is endowed with over 200 miles of coastline, littered with a plethora of business enterprises and opportunities in the hospitality and tourism industry. While there are many entry-level jobs in this industry, many of those jobs can lead workers to a variety of long-term career paths and significantly higher paying jobs. Sound technical skills, hard work, and great people skills can present an employee in this industry with many personally and professionally fulfilling employment opportunities.
A three-year program of study in Restaurant/Hospitality Management (CIP: 12.0504) is under development and aims to prepare individuals to plan, supervise, and manage food and beverage preparation and service operations, restaurant facilities, and catering services. It includes instruction in culinary arts, restaurant and menu planning, executive chef functions, hospitality management, food/beverage industry operations, cost control, purchasing and storage, business administration, logistics, personnel management, event planning and management, health and safety, insurance, and applicable law and regulations.
Professional Associations and Certifications
- American Hotel & Lodging Association - Nonprofit dedicated to delivering quality hospitality education, training and professional certification that services the needs of hospitality schools and industries worldwide.
- Hospitality Financial & Technology Professionals - The international professional association serving members working in hospitality, HFTP is dedicated to providing members with extraordinary networking opportunities, industry-leading certification programs and events and essential resources for professional growth.
- ProStart™ – Career-building program for high school students interested in culinary arts and food service management.
- American Culinary Federation – Professional chefs' organization offering industry news, job boards, professional development/continuing education, accreditation for culinary programs, apprenticeship programs, culinary competitions and 14 industry certifications.
- National Restaurant Association – Resources including industry data and forecasts, advocacy, business solutions, educational programs for secondary and post-secondary students, leadership training and professional development for practitioners, and three professional certifications.
Skills USA Career and Technical Student Organization (CTSO)
New Jersey - http:www.nj-skillsusa.org
National - http://www.skillsusa.org
This organization is a partnership of students, teachers and industry working together to ensure America has a skilled workforce. Committed to helping each student excel, SkillsUSA provides educational programs, events, and competitions that support CTE programs in the nation's classrooms.
SkillsUSA New Jersey
P.O. Box 6350
Bridgewater, NJ 08807
(908) 526-8900, ext. 7231
Fax: (908) 704-0784
- Atlantic Cape Community College - A.A.S.: Culinary Arts; A.A.S.: Food Service Management; A.A.S: Hospitality Management
- Bergen Community College - A.A.S: Catering/Banquet Management; A.A.S.: Culinary Entrepreneurship; A.A.S.: Hospitality Management; A.A.S: Hotel/Restaurant/Hospitality; Certificate: Culinary Arts; Certificate: Hospitality Management; Certificate: Hotel Operations
- Brookdale Community College - A.A.S.: Culinary Arts; Certificate: Culinary Arts
- Burlington County College - A.A.S.: Casino and Resort Management; ; A.S.: Hospitality and Tourism Management; A.A.S.: Culinary Arts; A.A.S: Food Service and Hospitality Management Technology; Certificate: Food Service and Hospitality Management
- Camden County College - A.A.S.: Hospitality Technology; Certificate: Food Service Management; Certificate: Culinary; Certificate: Hotel and Resort Management; Certificate: Meeting and Event Planning
- Essex County College - A.A.S.: Hospitality Management
- Mercer County Community College - A.A.S.: Culinary Arts; A.A.S.: Hotel, Restaurant and Institution Management; Certificate: Professional Cooking
- Middlesex County College - A.A.S.: Restaurant/Food Service Management; A.A.S.: Hotel/Motel Management; A.A.S.: Culinary Arts Management; Certificate: Culinary Arts; Certificate: Restaurant Operations
- County College of Morris - A.A.S: Restaurant and Culinary Management; A.A.S.: Culinary Arts and Science; A.A.S: Hospitality Management; Certificate: Culinary Arts; Certificate: Restaurant Management and Event Planning
- Passaic County Community College - A.S.: Hospitality Management; Certificate: Hospitality/Retail Management
- Raritan Valley Community College - A.A.S.: Food and Beverage Management; Certificate: Event Planning/Meeting Management
- Union County College – A.A.S.: Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management
- Warren County College – A.A.S.: Food and Beverage Management; A.S. Ecotourism
- Montclair State University – B.S.: Business Administration, Hospitality Management; B.S. Business Administration, Sports, Events and Tourism Marketing
- Fairleigh Dickinson University - B.S. Hotel and Restaurant Management; Certificate: Hotel Management
- Richard Stockton College – B.S. Hospitality and Tourism Management Studies
- Thomas Edison State College – B.S. Hospitality Management