Long Range Facilities Plan Information
New Jersey public school districts are required to submit an amendment to their Long Range Facilities Plan (LRFP) at least once every five years and to coordinate with school facilities project applications. There are two types of LRFP amendments:
- A major amendment to comply with five-year reporting requirements and/or to propose new educational projects that impact student capacity, and
- A minor amendment to update an LRFP that was approved within the last five years to coordinate with a school facilities project application.
Detailed information concerning submission requirements and use of the web based LRFP Reporting System are provided below. All LRFP submission documents and questions should be emailed to LRFPsubmission@doe.nj.gov.
- A Cohort Survival Enrollment Projection prepared by the Office of School Facilities Planning is required for all major amendment submissions. Please see the Enrollment Projections section below and the LRFP Major Amendment Guidelines for additional information.
- Supporting documents for Major Amendment submissions must include a completed Submission Verification Form.
- LRFP Reporting System (Access with Internet Explorer)
- LRFP Major Amendment Guidelines, Updated March 10, 2022 (PDF)
- LRFP Minor Amendment Instructions and Request Form (PDF)
- Addressing the LRFP Data Submission Report (PDF)
- LRFP System Data Unlocking Request Form (PDF)
- Amendment Submission Verification Form (PDF)
- Issued Major Amendment Determination Reports
The Office of School Facilities Planning will provide a Cohort Survival Enrollment Projection to school districts upon request at any time.
Districts planning a major amendment must request the Department’s projection and include it as a supporting document in its submission. If the district believes the standard projection does not reliably forecast enrollments for inclusion in its LRFP, contact the Department at LRFPsubmission@doe.nj.gov to discuss modifications or the use of a different methodology prior to initiating a demographic study or incorporating an alternative projection in an LRFP amendment. If an alternative projection is accepted for use in the LRFP, the Department’s cohort survival enrollment projection must still be included as part of the amendment submission.
Major Amendment Requirements
Major amendments to comply with five-year reporting requirements include updates using the LRFP Reporting System and the email submission of supporting documents. Refer to the LRFP Major Amendment Guidelines (PDF) for guidance concerning reporting requirements, LRFP system operational issues, critical data checks, and Department approval issues. Examples of errors that frequently prevent approval include:
- A lack of coordination between the existing schools represented in the LRFP system and the New Jersey School Directory;
- A lack of coordination between the proposed enrollments entered in the LRFP system and the enrollment projection submitted as a supporting document; and
- The association of a district-wide asset, such as an administrative building or a vacant or offline facility, with a school.
A major amendment submission is considered complete and ready for Department review after all required supporting documents, including the Major Amendment Submission Verification form, are emailed to LRFPsubmission@doe.nj.gov. The status of the LRFP in the LRFP system is no longer used to indicate submission or approval status. Do not email documents until all updates are completed in the LRFP system.
A district’s most recent LRFP major amendment determination report can be accessed by clicking here.
Minor Amendment Requirements
If the district received major amendment approval within the last five years, it may be eligible to submit a minor amendment to update the previously approved plan for project application coordination. The LRFP Minor Amendment Instructions and Request Form (PDF) describes eligibility and reporting requirements.
For a minor amendment submission, compete and email the LRFP Minor Amendment Instructions and Request Form (PDF) and supporting documents indicated on the form to LRFPsubmission@doe.nj.gov. Do not email documents until all updates are completed in the LRFP system and all required supporting documents, including the BOE resolution, are available to be included in the email submission.
Accessing the LRFP Reporting System
The LRFP Reporting System can be accessed at http://lrfp.mksd.org/
The Department only provides LRFP system account information to district administrators. District administrators can email LRFPsubmission@doe.nj.gov if a username and/or password is needed to access the LRFP system. Each district is responsible for creating additional user accounts for consultant use. Refer to the District Administrator Instructions (PDF) for guidance on managing user access to the LRFP reporting system.
Only Internet Explorer (IE) can be used to access the LRFP reporting system, and only versions 10 and below are fully supported.
If a blank page appears when accessing the website with IE:
- Open a new webpage.
- Go to “tools” and click “compatibility view.”
- Go to “compatibility view settings” and add “lrfp.mksd.org” to the websites.
- Go to “internet options” and select the “advanced” tab.
- Confirm “accelerated graphics” > “Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering” is checked.
- Close and then reopen IE, and log into the LRFP system again.
Internet Explorer will be retired and go out of support on June 15, 2022.
It will still be available to download and use.
As an alternative, the site can be opened in Microsoft Edge with Internet Explorer Mode.
Unlocking District Data and Using the LRFP Reporting System
If data in the LRFP reporting system cannot be edited (text appears grey and records cannot be edited), the LRFP is “locked.” To have the data unlocked for editing, complete and email the LRFP System Data Unlocking Request Form (PDF) to LRFPsubmission@doe.nj.gov.
The following documents provide step by step guidance for using the LRFP reporting system. It is recommended that the LRFP Major Amendment Guidelines (PDF) be reviewed first for an overview of LRFP amendment requirements and the most recent information concerning the functionality of the LRFP reporting system.
- Table of Contents (PDF)
- Part A: Introduction and Getting Started(PDF)
- Part B: Reviewing and Updating Existing Inventory (PDF)
- Part C: Troubleshooting Data Migration Problems (PDF)
- Part D: Defining Potential Inventory and Systems Needs (PDF)
- Part E: Identifying District Enrollments (See LRFP Major Amendment Guidelines (PDF) for an important update concerning system cohort-survival enrollment projection and “Enrollment Projections below.)
- Part F: Creating a LRFP (PDF)
- Part G: Submitting and Amending a LRFP(PDF) (See LRFP Major Amendment Guidelines (PDF) for updates concerning the submission of the LRFP and supporting documents)
- Addressing the LRFP Data Submission Report (PDF)