Re-Posting: State Special Education Advisory Council Seeks Members
SSEAC is seeking to fill up to two Council Member positions. Appointments are for a two-year term and are renewable for up to six years in total. Meetings are held from September to June on the third Thursday of the month from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monthly attendance is a requirement. Members are volunteers and are not reimbursed for their services. The council meetings are open to the public.
To apply for a position, please complete this form SSEAC Online Application and submit a current resume to SpEdAdvisoryCouncil@doe.nj.gov either as a PDF file or Word Document. The form should take approximately 5 minutes. Application submission will close on Friday, April 30, 2021 at 5pm EST.
Functions of the Council
In accordance with the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), the Governor, or his designee, is required to appoint a state advisory panel consisting of persons representing both providers and receivers of services for children with educational disabilities. The purpose of the advisory council is to provide guidance on special education and related services. By law, the council is charged with:
- Advising the Commissioner of Education on the unmet educational needs of pupils with disabilities within the state;
- Commenting publicly on the following issues with regard to the education of pupils with disabilities:
- the annual state program plan,
- proposed rules and regulations; and
- procedures for distribution of funds.
- Assisting in the development and reporting of such information and evaluations as may assist the Commissioner of Education in performing his responsibilities related to the education of pupils with disabilities;
- Advising the Commissioner of Education on the development of corrective action plans; and
- Advising the Commissioner of Education on the development/implementation of policies related to coordination of services.
Committees complete much of the important work of the council. These committees may be standing committees, which have year-long goals, or ad hoc committees which address a particular short-term concern during the course of a particular school year.
There are no committees at this time.
For further information or to send a request please email SpEdAdvisoryCouncil@doe.nj.gov.