New Jersey Department of Education

DOE A to Z: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z #

New Jersey Adult Education

High School Equivalency Tests Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What are the high school equivalency tests?

A: There are three high school equivalency tests approved by the United States Department of Education and the NJ State Board of Education. They are the GED, HiSET and TASC.  All three are aligned to federal Career and College Readiness Standards and designed to measure skills and concepts associated with four years of regular high school instruction. Each test is developed by adult and secondary educators and subject matter specialists. Each of the tests corresponds to the general framework of most high school curricula: writing skills, social studies, science, interpreting literature and the arts, and mathematics.

Q: Who is eligible for the tests?

A: The tests are intended primarily for persons who, for any number of reasons, have missed their first opportunity to complete a high school program of instruction. The tests can be administered only to persons who are at least 16 years old; have not graduated from an accredited high school or received a high school equivalency certificate or diploma; and are not currently enrolled in a traditional high school.  You must be a New Jersey resident. If you are 16 or 17 years old, you must complete a Certificate of Consent to Participate, verifying that you are not enrolled in school, and the parent or legal guardian must bring it in person to the test center or have the consent form notarized by a New Jersey notary before a test will be administered. If you have a legal guardian, you must bring a copy of the court document awarding guardianship to the test center before a test will be administered. Written confirmation of eligibility must be provided by all candidates. You must bring identification to your test center when registering for a test.  The identification requirements are found here:

Q: How do I sign up for the high school equivalency tests?

A: Tests may be taken only at testing centers that have been approved by the New Jersey Department of Education. Special accommodations are available for qualified persons. You must contact the testing center where you wish to take the test to find out the testing schedule and how to register for the test.  The testing centers are listed by county and can be accessed at the link below:

Q: What is the cost of each assessment?

A: The following link to the New Jersey State - Approved Test Centers lists all test and retest fees.

Q: What are the passing scores for the high school equivalency tests?

A: In order to qualify for a New Jersey state-endorsed high school diploma, candidates must meet the minimum test score requirements.  The passing test scores can be found here:

Q: What do I do if I fail all or a sub-section of the assessment?

A: Contact the test center of your choice to reschedule the test and for any information on additional costs.

Q: How do I request special accommodations for testing?

A: If you are a qualified candidate with a Specific Learning Disability (SLD), a physical disability, or a psychological disability, you can ask for a special edition of the tests, or modifications to the test administration that will assist you. The passing score requirements are the same for all candidates. A special accommodation approved by one test vendor may only be valid for that test and further verification of the disability may be needed by another vendor if you chose to take their test. Information about special accommodations can be obtained from the test vendors:

Q: How do I obtain a copy of my transcript?

A: Per FERPA, the federal privacy law, a signed request from the student is required to release any education/testing information. Information on how to request access to an official transcript is found here:

Q: Some test takers have passed one or more of the subjects on the former 2002 series GED test.  Will those scores be honored after January 1, 2014?

A: No. Once a test series ends, a student who has not passed all portions of the test and achieved the total score of 2250 will have to take a new assessment.

Q: I provide adult education services and help prepare students for the high school equivalency tests. How should I adjust my services in order to prepare students for the current assessments?

A: All the current assessments are aligned with the New Jersey Student Learning Standards. Teachers should prepare and teach towards these rigorous standards. Preparation materials and professional development are offered by the test vendors. More information can be found on the Adult Education webpage:

Q: Who can become a New Jersey state-approved test center, and how?

A: All New Jersey high schools, community and four-year colleges, state agencies, and nonprofit companies are currently permitted to be test centers. Public schools, libraries and government agencies can contact the New Jersey State Department of Education, Office of Adult Education, if they wish to become a test center. A Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) will need to be completed. The New Jersey Department of Education allows for-profit and nonprofit companies, apprenticeship programs, and others to become test centers, as well. This is done by a formal Request for Qualifications (RFQ) process detailed on the following link: Test centers contract with any of the three NJDOE-approved test vendors. Offering multiple assessments is encouraged.

Q:  Are the assessments offered on paper and computer?

A:  All tests are now offered on the computer.  A paper test will only be offered if you apply for and receive a special accommodation from the test vendor.

Q: If I took an assessment (2014 GED series, HiSET or TASC) in another state will those scores count and be transferred to New Jersey?

A: Those who took the GED prior to January 1, 2014, and did not pass all sections, or passed all  sections but did not have the total score needed and didn’t receive a state credential, are not able to have the scores transferred to New Jersey as they have expired.

The current GED, HiSET and TASC taken in another state that did not result in the awarding of a credential from that state can be transferred to New Jersey.  The test taker must notify the test center and/or test vendor so that the scores can be transferred to New Jersey. 


New Jersey Department of Education, Adult Education – High School Equivalency Office, PO Box 500, Trenton, NJ 08625-0500
Phone: 609-777-1050, E-mail: