and Bergen Point Lighthouses
all lighthouses were built on the New Jersey shore or in South
Jersey. The Passaic Lighthouse guided boats through Newark
Bay and the Passaic River. It was an active aid to navigation
from the late 1800s to the early 1900s. The government closed
the lighthouse because they didn’t need it.
Point Lighthouse was built on Newark Bay. It was 50 feet
from the New York border. Bergen Point Lighthouse was
built in 1849. The lighthouse had six rooms and was two
and a half stories high. It cost about $5,000 to build.
It was torn down in the mid-1900s and replaced with a