the Sea Girt Lighthouse was built, shipwrecks often occurred
near the coast. Dangers like rocks and shallow water caused
as many as 90 shipwrecks in the 1890s. The coast and Sea Girt
Inlet were called Wreck Pond because of the shipwrecks. A lighthouse
was needed to see the coast between the Barnegat Lighthouse
and the Sandy Hook Lighthouse.
completed Sea Girt Lighthouse in 1896. It was two stories tall
and made of red brick. A red light flashed once every second
and could be seen for 15 miles. There were 5 lighthouse keepers,
including a woman, which was rare. Harriet Yates kept the lighthouse
for two months after her husband died.
1921 Sea Girt was the first lighthouse to use a radio fog beacon.
It sent a radio signal to nearby ships. Captains knew they
were near land when they heard it, even if it was foggy and
they couldn’t see.
Girt Lighthouse was used until 1955. The Coast Guard thought
the lighthouse was no longer needed. Today, local groups use
the lighthouse as a meeting place and there are guided tours
for visitors and schoolchildren.