The Official Web Site For The State of New Jersey - Office of the Secretary of Higher Education
Global Navigation
FAQs Departments/ Agencies Services A to Z NJ Home Page

Employment Opportunities

dash None at this time.

Public Information and Media Requests

Degree Program Inventory/Institutional Research/Statistics

NJ Colleges & Universities


Educational Opportunity Fund

Student Programs/ Governor's School/ College Access Challenge Grant


Community College Opportunity Grant

NJ STEM Pathways Network

Higher Education Initiatives

Other Resources/Popular Links


New Jersey Tuition
Equality Act

NJ Student Learning Standards/NJ
Educator Resource Exchange

Troops to College
Information for Veterans

State Authorization
Reciprocity Agreement (SARA)

Staff Directory

Complaint Form

New Jersey Office of the Secretary of Higher Education (OSHE)
OSHE Complaint Form Instructions

Instructions for Filing a Complaint about an Institution of Higher Education

For all types of complaints concerning colleges and universities in New Jersey, the first course of action must be to try to resolve the complaint directly with the administration of the college or university involved. The Office of the Secretary of Higher Education (OSHE) will not review a complaint until all grievance procedures at the institution have been followed, all avenues of appeal exhausted, and documentation provided that such procedures have been exhausted.

Please do not send a complaint to OSHE until you have read all of the information below. This will assure that you are sending your complaint to the appropriate agency/office.

OSHE handles only those complaints that concern educational programs or practices of degree-granting institutions subject to the Regulations of OSHE, with the exceptions noted below.

Residents of other states and territories who are seeking information about filing a complaint about a New Jersey institution operating outside of New Jersey under the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA), as well as New Jersey residents seeking information about filing a complaint about an out-of-state institution operating under SARA can find more information by viewing the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement.

For complaints about:

  • New Jersey student financial aid matters (e.g. student loans, grants, scholarships, TAG, NJ STARS, etc.), contact:
  • Programs in fields leading to teacher certification or for K-12 issues, contact:
  • Programs leading to nursing licensure, contact:
  • Career/vocational/trade school, contact:
  • Civil rights complaints involving discrimination based on race, color, national origin, age, disability and sex, including sexual harassment, should be filed with:

    Office for Civil Rights (OCR) – Enforcement Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    32 Old Slip, 26th floor
    New York, NY 10005 – 2500
    Telephone: 646-428-3900
    FAX: 646-428-3843
    TDD: 877-521-2172
    Email -
    New Jersey Office of the Attorney General
    Division of Civil Rights

  • Consumer fraud on the part of a NJ institution should be filed with:

If you have reviewed these instructions and still feel your issue falls under the purview of the Office of the Secretary of Higher Education, then complete and submit the OSHE Complaint Form PDF Image Icon (105KB).





Office of the Secretary of Higher Education: Home | Contact Us | Notifications
NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs
Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996 -
This site is maintained by the Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services.

Accessibility Statement Legal Statement Privacy Notice Contact Us Open Public Records Act