The Official Web Site For The State of New Jersey - Office of the Secretary of Higher Education
Global Navigation
FAQs Departments/ Agencies Services A to Z NJ Home Page

Employment Opportunities

Public Information and Media Requests

Degree Program Inventory/Institutional Research/Statistics

NJ Colleges & Universities


Educational Opportunity Fund

Student Programs/ Governor's School/ College Access Challenge Grant


NJ STEM Pathways Network

Higher Education Initiatives

Other Resources/Popular Links


New Jersey Tuition
Equality Act

NJ Student Learning Standards/NJ
Educator Resource Exchange

Troops to College
Information for Veterans

State Authorization
Reciprocity Agreement (SARA)

Staff Directory

Complaint Form

OSHE Complaint Instructions

For all types of complaints concerning colleges and universities in New Jersey, the first course of action must be to try to resolve the complaint directly with the administration of the college or university involved. The Office of the Secretary of Higher Education (OSHE) will not review a complaint until all grievance procedures at the institution have been followed, all avenues of appeal exhausted, and documentation provided that such procedures have been exhausted. 

Please do not send a complaint to OSHE until you have read all of the information below. This will assure that you are sending your complaint to the appropriate agency/office. 

OSHE handles only those complaints that concern educational programs or practices of degree-granting institutions subject to the Regulations of OSHE, with the exceptions noted below.
  • OSHE does not handle anonymous complaints.
  • OSHE does not intervene in matters concerning an individual’s grades or examination results as these are the prerogative of the college’s faculty.
  • OSHE does not intervene in matters concerning student conduct violations.
  • OSHE does not intervene in human resources matters.
  • OSHE does not handle complaints concerning actions that occurred more than two years ago. 
  • OSHE does not intervene in matters that are or have been in litigation.

Residents of other states and territories who are seeking information about filing a complaint about a New Jersey institution operating outside of New Jersey under the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA), as well as New Jersey residents seeking information about filing a complaint about an out-of-state institution operating under SARA can find more information by viewing the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement.

For complaints about state student financial aid matters (eg. student loans, grants, scholarships, TAG, NJ STARS, etc.), contact:

Higher Education Student Assistance Authority
(800) 792-8670 or (609) 584-4480

For complaints concerning programs in fields leading to teacher certification or for K-12 issues contact:

Department of Education for contact information for the various DOE offices.   

For complaints concerning programs leading to nursing licensure, contact:

New Jersey Board of Nursing
(973) 504-6516

For complaints against a career/vocational/trade school contact:

Department of Labor & Workforce Development (DLWD)
(609) 659-9045

Civil rights complaints involving discrimination based on race, color, national origin, age, disability and sex, including sexual harassment, should be filed with:

Office for Civil Rights (OCR) – Enforcement Office
U.S. Department of Education
32 Old Slip, 26th floor
New York, NY 10005 – 2500
Telephone: 646-428-3900
FAX: 646-428-3843
TDD: 877-521-2172
Email -


New Jersey Office of the Attorney General, Division of Civil Rights
Complaints by New Jersey residents of consumer fraud on the part of the institution should be filed with:

New Jersey Office of the Attorney General
Division of Consumer Affairs

Complainants should be aware that OSHE does not conduct a judicial investigation and, with the exception of complaints brought by non-New Jersey residents under SARA, has no legal authority to require a college or university to comply with a complainant’s request.

If your complaint does n
ot fall into one of the exceptions noted above, click here for the OSHE Complaint Form PDF Image Icon (173KB).




Office of the Secretary of Higher Education: Home | Contact Us | Notifications
NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs
Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996 -
This site is maintained by the Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services.

Accessibility Statement Legal Statement Privacy Notice Contact Us Open Public Records Act