Those with Veterans Status who are enrolled in the following state operated pension funds qualify for Veterans Retirement:
- New Jersey Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS)
- Police and Firemen’s Retirement System (PFRS)
- New Jersey Teachers’ Pension and Annuity Fund (TPAF)
Veterans Retirement is different than the standard Service Retirement available to most enrolled in the above pension funds, and has special benefits.
These benefits include the ability to retire at age 55 (with 25 years of service) and a more generous calculation of your Maximum Annual Allowance during retirement.
Unlike Civil Service Preference for Veterans which MAY transfer to the spouse, Veteran Status for Pension does not.
Qualifying for Veterans Status
To qualify for Veterans Status, the Veteran must have been honorably discharged and served on active duty during a qualifying war era.
The following documents will be needed to prove this service occurred:
- WD Form 53-55 or DD Form 214
- Honorable Discharge Certificate
- 14 days in a combat theater during specified time periods. As an exception to the 14 day rule, the Vietnam Conflict requires 90 days active duty on or after December 31, 1960 and must have begun on or before May 7, 1975. Refer to Civil Service Preference for Veterans Qualifying War Era Service Dates.
- Additional documents as needed
For detailed information on qualifying for Veterans Status, please read Fact Sheet #17 Veterans Status, which is maintained by the New Jersey Division of Pensions and Benefits.
A Veteran can qualify for Veteran Retirement with either:
- 25 years of service at age 55+
- 20 years of service at age 60+
For Veterans retiring with 25 years of service at age 55+, OR 20 years of service at age 60+, the Maximum Annual Allowance calculation is:
54.5% × Highest 12 Consecutive Months of Salary
For Veterans retiring with 35 years of service at age 55+, the Maximum Annual Allowance calculation is:
(Years of Service ÷ 55) × Highest 12 Consecutive Months of Salary
A Veteran can still choose a Service Retirement over a Veterans Retirement, if they prefer.
Establishing Veterans Status for Pensions
Download and fill out an Application for Veteran Designation for Pension. Once completed, please follow the written instructions found on the form to mail in your claim.