If you have moved to New Jersey and plan to stay here for more than six months, you must transfer your Commercial Driver License (CDL) within 60 days of becoming a resident or before your current license expires.
How to transfer your out-of-state license
- Visit one of the following Driver Testing Centers for your vision test: Bakers Basin, Bayonne, Camden, Cardiff, Eatontown, Edison, Freehold, Lodi, Delaco, Newark, Newton, North
Bergen, Paterson, Rahway, Randolph, Rio Grande, Runnemede, Salem, South Plainfield, Toms River, Vineland, Washington, Wayne, and West Deptford.
- Bring your out-of-state CDL document.
- Bring the original medical examiner certificate form completed by a federally certified medical examiner (no more than one year old). Visit the federal website to locate a federally certified medical examiner near you.
- Complete, sign and date a CDL Holder Self-Certification document.
- Purchase a $10 CDL transfer permit.
- Pass a vision test.
- In order to pass the vision test, you must have 20/40 vision in each eye with or without
- HAZMAT endorsement holders must pass a written test and submit fingerprints for a background check.
- Passenger endorsement must submit fingerprints.
- Pay the CDL transfer fee and required licensing fee.
- For your convenience, the MVC accepts American Express® card, MasterCard®, Visa® card, Discover card®, checks, money orders and cash.