Certain vehicles are exempt from inspections, but they do vary, so be sure to check what is required for yours.
The following vehicles are exempt from inspection requirements (N.J.A.C. 13:20-7.2):
- Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 1995 & older with a GVWR 8,500 pounds or less.
- Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2007 & older with a GVWR 8,501 to 14,000 pounds.
- Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2013 & older with a GVWR 14,001 pounds or more.
- Historic motor vehicles
- Approved Collector Vehicles which are less than 25 years old
- 100% Electric vehicles
- Motorized bicycles
- Farm tractors and traction equipment
- Farm machinery and implements
- Fire trucks having a GVWR of more than 8,500 pounds
- In-transit construction equipment
- All Diesel-fueled motor vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) 8,501 pounds to 17,999 that are plated commercial. The owner or lessee is required to inspected these vehicles.
- All diesel powered vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) 8,501 to 17,999 that are plated passenger, not for profit, governmental, commuter van, farmer or farm truck except buses
- All diesel powered vehicles model year 1996 and older that are plated passenger, not for profit, governmental, commuter van, farmer or farm truck except buses
- Omnibuses which are subject to inspection by the Commission‘s Commercial Bus Inspection and Investigation Unit
- School buses which are subject to inspection by the Commission‘s School Bus Inspection Unit
- Tactical military vehicles operated on Federal installations within this State
General inspections are not required for historic or collector vehicles. To be classified as a "historic vehicle" it must be:
- At least 25 years old
- Must not be modified from original manufacturer specification
- Specially registered and display QQ plates
To be classified as a "collector vehicle" make sure that the vehicle:
- Is not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"
- Is not driven more than 3,000 miles per year
- Is insured as a limited use "collector vehicle"
- Is not a vehicle with an elevated chassis height subject to an inspection in accordance with NJAC 13:20-37
To qualify for an exemption:
- A vehicle must first be prequalified as a collector vehicle. Click here to see if your vehicle qualifies as a collector vehicle.
- Visit an MVC Agency to purchase a voucher for a special decal to mark the vehicle exempt from safety and emission inspection; fee is $25 for an initial voucher and $10 to renew. You must provide the approval letter from the
MVC I/M Support to the agency.
- Take the collector vehicle to a State Inspection Station where the inspector will verify the odometer reading
Submit completed application to:
Motor Vehicle Commission
P.O. Box 680
Trenton, NJ 08666-0680