seal NJ
logo 6 point ID

Primary ID
Secondary ID
Proof of Address
Final Review

Secondary ID

You must show at least ONE of the following documents. Select your document(s) by checking the appropriate box to the left. When finished, press "Next" to continue.

3 Point Documents:

Civil marriage, domestic partnership or civil union certificate issued by the municipality or state in which the ceremony occurred. Please note: Photo copies are not acceptable. Certificates issued by religious entities are not acceptable.

Order or decree of divorce, dissolution or termination*

Court order for a legal name change, signed by a
judge or court clerk

Current US military dependant card

US military photo retiree card

Valid NJ firearm purchaser card

2-Point Document:

1-Point Documents:

(You cannot use more than TWO of these)
Current/expired less than one year non-digital NJ PHOTO driver license

Total Points  
Current total points:

If your current legal name is different from the name on your civil birth certificate (e.g., your maiden name), then you must show legal proof of the name change. Legal proof = Certified marriage or civil union certificate, divorce decree or court order linking the new name with a previous name.

Note: A divorce decree may be used as authority to resume using a previous name only if it contains the new name and the previous name and permits a return to use of the previous name.

Certain documents may require proof of legal US presence.
All documents must be ORIGINAL or CERTIFIED COPIES, in English, and have the required state and/or municipal seals.
Certified copies of New Jersey records are available from the municipality that originally issued them and from the State Bureau of Vital Statistics at or (609) 292-4087. If your birth certificate is from Jersey City/Hudson County you must check or call (609) 292-6500.