Surcharges are assessed pursuant to New Jersey law for the accumulation of excessive points or where drivers are convicted of certain specified offenses.

Download the surcharge brochure.

For more information on surcharges, call (844) 424-6829.

You will receive a billing notice that will also include a payment envelope.  Payment by check or money order is acceptable.  Please do not send cash.  If you do not have the payment envelope, please use the address for NJSVS noted below.  Do not send surcharge payments to the MVC; they will be returned.  All surcharge payments must go through NJSVS.
There are several ways of paying your surcharge:

  • Pay with debit/credit card or e-check online at
  • Pay with debit/credit card via telephone: Call toll-free (844) 424-6829
  • Pay with cash: Visit a Western Union location in New Jersey or nationwide
  • Send a check or money order, payable to NJSVS:

P.O. Box 1502
Moorestown, NJ 08057-9704

Surcharge payment plans are available as detailed on your bill.  You can call (844) 424-6829 for more information.  You may also use this number to access individual accounts and payment information, obtain surcharge program information, and make credit card or check payments 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Accepted credit cards include: Visa, Discover and MasterCard. 

Tenemos representantes que hablan español disponibles de 8 de la mañana hasta las 5 de la tarde de lunes a viernes (844)-424-6829.

Your driving record is reviewed whenever points or other serious offenses are added to your driving record.

Point Violation Surcharge: If you accumulate six or more points within three years from your last posted violation, you will receive a $150 surcharge plus $25 for each additional point over six.  A surcharge based on accumulated points can result in you being surcharged annually for three years.  Additional violations that will result in an annual surcharge for three years:

  • $100 for unlicensed driver or driver with expired license ($300 total)
  • $250 for driving with a suspended license ($750 total)
  • $100 for failure to insure a moped ($300 total)
  • $250 for operating an uninsured vehicle ($750 total)
  • $1,000 for first and second DWI ($3,000 total)
  • $1,500 3rd DWI (if it occurs within three years of last offense) ($4,500 total)
  • $1,000 for refusing to take test to measure blood alcohol concentration ($3,000 total)

If you do not pay the surcharges when due, the law authorizes the MVC to begin collection action, including, but not limited to, the filing of a Certificate of Debt with the New Jersey Superior Court.  Also known as a "judgment,” the certificate allows the State to collect unpaid surcharges in addition to costs of collection, and interest.  Judgments prevent the transfer or sale of property and may also lead to wage garnishment.    

If your driver license is currently suspended, you are not permitted to drive until you have restored your driving privilege in the State of New Jersey, and you have received written notice of restoration from the MVC.  To restore your driving privilege, you will need to pay a minimum of 5% of your current outstanding surcharge and a $100 driver license restoration fee.  These payments can be made online via the MVC’s web site in two separate payments.  One payment is the 5% surcharge payment and the second is the $100 restoration fee.  Once all payments are made, you will receive written notification that your driving privilege has been restored.  For additional information, you may call the Surcharge Administration Office at (609) 292-7500, extension 5024.

Yes.  You are responsible for paying surcharges even if you move out of New Jersey and surrender your New Jersey driver license.  

A driver may continue to be responsible for surcharges depending on their driver record.  For example:  A driver receives a four-point violation in year one.  There is no surcharge.  In year two, the driver receives a two-point violation.  The total is six points and the driver is surcharged $150.  In year three, the four-point violation is only two years old and the two-point violation is only one year old.  There are still six total points on the record and another $150 surcharge is assessed.  In year four, the four-point violation is over three years old and is no longer counted.  The total of the surchargeable points is now two and at this point the driver is not assessed a surcharge.  However, if the driver had received four additional points in year four, they would again be surcharged $150.

No.  The three-point credit for safe driving and the two-point reduction for attending a defensive driving class do not reduce a surcharge point total. 

If a driver licensed in another state is convicted of DWI in New Jersey, the law requires the assessment of surcharges, regardless of the fact that the driver is not the holder of a New Jersey driver license.

Yes.  The surcharge statute (N.J.S.A. 17:29A-35) requires the assessment of surcharges if you hold a New Jersey driver license and are convicted in another state of a violation substantially similar to New Jersey's DWI statute.  Violations committed in other states are reported to New Jersey and entered on your driver record.

You are encouraged to make payment in full.  If you are unable to do so, you can request an installment payment plan (IPP).  If there are any judgments for unpaid surcharges, those judgments will remain outstanding until the debt is paid in full.  To be enrolled in an IPP, you must first remit the installment amount listed on the front of the billing notice by the indicated due date.  The remaining surcharge balance will be billed in monthly installments.  Interest on judgments will continue to accrue during the course of the payment plan until the judgements are paid in full.  If you cannot afford the plan amount listed on your billing notice, call the New Jersey Surcharge Violation System, (844) 424-6829, to discuss other possible payment arrangements.

If a judgment is filed against you for failure to pay your surcharge, New Jersey law authorizes the use of the Set Off of Individual Liability (SOIL) program.   This means that monies owed to you by the State, such as a New Jersey State income tax refund, property tax rebate, lottery winnings or certain unclaimed property, will be redirected to help pay off your surcharge debt.  If you have filed jointly and your spouse is responsible for surcharge debt, contact the MVC’s SOIL unit, (609) 292-7500, extension 5026.  You may be eligible to receive half of the income tax refund.

To satisfy judgment debt, full payments must be made in certified funds (U.S. postal money order, attorney trust account check or certified bank check).  All uncertified payments (personal check, credit/debit card) will delay the filing of a Warrant of Satisfaction by two months. 
To obtain a Warrant of Satisfaction, contact the New Jersey Superior Court at:

The New Jersey Superior Court
Judgment Unit
Attn: Clerks Office/Customer Service
P.O. Box 971
Trenton, NJ 08625-0971
Phone Number: (609) 421-6100.


Additional Info

You will receive a notice from the New Jersey Surcharge Violation System detailing your surcharge.  The notice will be sent to the address you provided to the MVC. 

The billing notice includes a summary of surcharges, total amount due, and an optional payment installment amount.  The payment installment amount is a portion of the total surcharge debt, spread out over six or more months.  If you choose to pay using the installment amount, every payment is due on the same day each month until the debt is paid in full.  The notice also provides information on the violation event(s) that are the basis for the surcharge(s).  

The bottom of each notice lists payment options including online (debit/credit, e-check), pay-by-phone, Western Union and by mail.   When making payment by mail, be sure to include the bottom tear-off portion of the notice so that your payment is applied to the correct surcharge account.   Please do not send cash.


Yes.  If you move, the law requires you to notify the MVC within seven days.  Visit Change your address to update the address on your driving record.  If you move out-of-state, you must report all changes of address to be certain that you satisfy the surcharge requirements.

No.  First, the court processes the ticket.  If you are convicted, your license information and the ticket (violation) information are sent to the MVC.  The MVC system then enters the violation on your driver record.  The date this occurs is called the "posting date."  The posting date is used to determine when a surcharge is assessed, not the date the ticket was issued or when the court processed the conviction. 

No.  New Jersey does not have a special license for suspended drivers to drive to work.  If you are unable to pay your surcharge and need to be placed on a payment plan, you can contact (844) 424-6829.

Surcharges imposed for violations are a result of court convictions and are mandated by statute; the MVC is not authorized to waive surcharges or disregard a valid conviction.  After conviction, only the court can determine if the violation was not valid and have it removed.  The court notifies the MVC if a surchargeable violation has been overturned or reversed. If the conviction is overturned or reversed by the court, the surcharge is removed, and any payments made can be refunded.  For questions regarding the appeal of a court conviction, contact the court that convicted you.

If you have a surcharge assessment and have filed for bankruptcy, a copy of your bankruptcy petition must be forwarded to the Surcharge Administration Office, P.O. Box 136, Trenton, NJ, 08666 or faxed to (609) 633-8273.  After the MVC receives the petition, a hold will be placed on your surcharge account.

Once your bankruptcy case is discharged, the Surcharge Administration Office may write off the entire balance on all pre-petition event violations.  However, you will be responsible for surcharges for violations you incur after filing for bankruptcy.  Please note that only surcharge assessments are dischargeable.  Judgments are non-dischargeable.  To have a judgment satisfied, you will need to pay it in full.

If your bankruptcy case is dismissed, you will be responsible for the entire balance of your surcharge account.  If you re-file for bankruptcy or your case is re-opened, you will need to mail or fax the new bankruptcy petition to the Surcharge Administration Office, P.O. Box 136, Trenton, NJ, 08666, or fax it to (609) 633-8273.  Please contact the Surcharge Administration Bankruptcy Unit at (609) 292-7500, extension 5025 for further information.

Yes.  Only New Jersey Regional Service Agencies accept surcharge payments.  However, it will be faster for you to pay online or call our NJSVS billing office at (844) 424-6829.

Yes.  All customers owing surcharges or restoration fees can pay online.

Surcharge and restoration fee payments must be kept totally separate via the appropriate link below.

Pay your surcharges
Driver license restoration fee payment

Yes.  A temporary billing hold can be placed on your surcharge account.  You will need to mail or fax a copy of your overseas deployment documentation and driver license number to the Surcharge Administration Office, P.O. Box 136, Trenton, NJ, 08666, or fax it to (609) 633-8273.  Your billing hold will be automatically released when your deployment ends.  You must notify the Surcharge Administration Office at (609) 292-7500, extension 5024 if your deployment ends early or if you have any questions.

Yes.  A hold may be placed on your account if your doctor certifies that your medical condition permanently prevents you from driving.  You will also need to surrender your driver license; you may replace the license with a Non-Driver ID.   Contact the Surcharge Administration Office at (609) 292-7500, extension 5024 for more information.


Yes.  Billing and responsibility for payment continues during the period of incarceration.  It is important to contact the MVC at (609) 292-7500, extension 5024 prior to parole/release in order to identify outstanding violations and to determine how to restore your driving privilege if you have not maintained your driver license for an extended period of time.  You may also write to the Surcharge Administration Office, P.O. Box 136, Trenton, NJ, 08666 or fax the office at (609) 633-8273. 

Yes.  You can contact the NJ Surcharge Violation System Customer Service Center toll free at (844) 424-6829.  Representatives are available between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday, to assist you.

You may also use this number to access an automated system to an individual account for payment and surcharge program information.  You also have the ability to make credit card and check payments 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Tenemos representantes que hablan español disponibles de 8 de la mañana hasta las 5 de la tarde de lunes a viernes (844) 424-6829.


Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2019