Temporary Non-Resident Registration


This applies if you are not a resident of New Jersey and:

  • you purchase a vehicle in New Jersey; and
  • you plan to transport the vehicle to your home state, you must get a temporary New Jersey registration in order to drive the vehicle while in New Jersey or to transfer it outside NJ state lines.

Visit a motor vehicle agency to obtain and complete a Vehicle Registration Application (Form BA-49).for temporary non-resident registration of your vehicle.

You will also need to bring with you all of the following:

  • an original New Jersey Certificate of Title assigned to you and reflecting your out-of-state address;
  • proof of your out-of-state address;
  • proof of insurance for the vehicle;
  • $5.00 fee for the temporary non-resident registration; and
  • Identification for yourself as the vehicle owner, i.e. out of state driver’s license or non-driver Identification (ID) card, whichever is applicable.

You will be issued a 30-day temporary non-resident registration that cannot be renewed.

Temporary registrations are only valid for use in the continental United States.