There is a specific process to classify a vehicle as a collector vehicle. The standards and application process are described below.
- Collector Vehicles must:
- Be a limited production vehicle or a vehicle made in limited quantities.
- Be less than 25 years old.
- Not be registered as a historic vehicle or a street rod.
- Not be driven more than 3,000 miles per year.
- Be insured as a limited use collector vehicle.
- The Collector Vehicle Status Fact Sheet contains more detailed information.
- A vehicle classified as a collector vehicle can be qualified for exemption from safety and emission inspection after the application process is completed.
- You must register through the MVC for collector vehicle status. The initial process is completed only through the mail and will take approximately two weeks.
- Follow these steps to apply:
- Complete the Application for Collector Vehicle
- Include a letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization confirming the vehicle’s limited production status.
- Include proof of limited-use insurance.
- Include photographs of front, both sides, and the rear of vehicle.
- The collector vehicle approval letter is only required to be provided to the agency when initially registered as a collector vehicle. The letter is not required upon renewal, however, if a customer misses a collector renewal
period they will need to re-apply for the collector status.
- Mail the package to:
New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
Collector Vehicle Status
I/M Support Unit
P.O. Box 680
Trenton, NJ 08666-0680
Once you receive an approval letter from the MVC, you may visit a motor vehicle agency to purchase a voucher for a special decal to make the vehicle exempt from safety and
- Bring the following with you:
- The original letter with the raised seal;
- The original application; and
- The $25 fee. The MVC accepts American Express® card, Visa® card, MasterCard® card, checks, money orders and cash.
For additional information on the collector vehicle classification, application process, or inspections exemption please call the MVC’s Division of Inspections at 609- 633-9474.