nj mvc title
Business Owned Vehicles
Business Licensing
IRP/IFTA Permit Process

Titles for business vehicles (corporation codes)

MVC issues corporation codes (corpcodes) to businesses located in New Jersey. Your business will receive a 15-digit corpcode that will be required for all transactions.

Financial institutions, leasing companies or businesses located outside the state that are legally registered to conduct business in New Jersey may request a corpcode.

Before the MVC can issue a corpcode, you must register your business with the New Jersey Division of Revenue and request a Federal Tax ID Number (FEIN).

The following businesses must file organizational documents with New Jersey Commercial Recording:
  • Corporations
  • Limited Partnerships
  • Limited Liability Partnerships
  • Limited Liability Companies
  • Domestic Profit and Foreign Profit
Sole proprietorships and partnerships are not required to register with Commercial Recording but must provide a Business Registration Certificate or Tax License issued by the New Jersey Division of Revenue or proof of registration with the county clerk where the business is located.

To get a corpcode:
  1. Fill out and submit the corp code application located in the above related link.
  2. Scan and email completed documents to:MVCCorpcodes@mvc.nj.gov
  3. Out of state applicants must submit a color photocopy of a driver's license or other proof of photo identification, mailing address, fax number and telephone number of the authorized signatory submitting the application on behalf of the entity.
  4. If submitting a Valid New Jersey driver's license no additional identification documents are required.  
  5. Submit Proof of Federal Employee Identification Number (if applicable)
  6. Submit Proof that your company is legally registered to do business in New Jersey. You must present one of the following:
    • Certificate of Formation
    • Certificate of Incorporation
  7. Letter requesting a corpcode for your business. The letter must be on official company letterhead bearing your legal company name as it appears on your tax records and your official company address.
  8. New Jersey Lienholders must follow steps 1, 5 and 7. In addition you must submit the following document as stipulated below;
    • Banks – submit banking commission documents
    • Credit Unions – submit charter papers
    • All other financial institutions and out-of-state dealers – no additional documents required

Understanding the approval process

  • Corpcodes will not be assigned the same day
  • You will receive a letter or email within 5 business days
  • You may email the MVC at MVCCorpcodes@mvc.nj.gov or call, (609) 292-6500 ext. 5003 after 3 days to check on your status of application.  
  • Failure to complete the application or supply additional requested information will delay the review
  • If titling and registration is being handled by the dealership where you purchased your vehicle, you may supply the approved corpcode directly to them.
  • Corpcode will be assigned to the home office or to sites having individual federal tax ID numbers

Note:  It is your responsibility to insure that the registration renewal applications are properly distributed to individual locations

Change of company address
Address change request must be submitted on Application (BA-8) within seven days and include:

  • Corpcode number
  • Federal Tax ID Number displaying current address (FEIN)
  • Former and new company address
  • Telephone number
  • Proof of identification of the company officer requesting address change
  • Signature of individual with authority to sign for the company

Requests can be sent by mail or e-mail as follows:

  • E-mail scanned copies to MVCCorpcodes@mvc.nj.gov
  • Mail to NJ Motor Vehicle Commission, BLS Corpcodes, PO Box 170, Trenton, NJ 08666

Change of company name
Name change request must be submitted on Application (BA-8) within seven days. This includes changes for:

  • INC to LLP
  • Non-profit to profit
  • CO to INC
  • Phone number
  • Bank purchase of another bank
  • Foreign corporations
  • Name Change

NOTE: If Tax Identification number changes with name change, you must apply for a new Corpcode, and provide documents as listed above in obtaining a corpcode. 

Out-of-state companies
If your company is a financial institution, leasing company or rental company, you can apply for a New Jersey corpcode if the vehicle will be garaged, titled and registered within the state.
  • Follow steps 1, 2, 4, 5 and 7 of the instructions above for requesting a corpcode and email, fax or mail the completed form to:

    NJ-MVC Business Licensing Services Bureau
    PO Box 170
    Trenton, NJ 08666

  • OR you may scan and email all documents to:MVCCorpcodes@mvc.nj.gov
  • To expedite your response, please provide contact information in your request
  • If your corporate headquarters already has a corpcode, you will be required to use that number

Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Legal Statement | Accessibility Statement
NJ Home Logo
Statewide: NJ home | Services A to Z | Department/Agencies | FAQs
Commission: Locations | Vehicles | Licenses | Violations | Inspections | Commercial | Business Licensing | About MVC
Copyright © State of New Jersey, 2006

New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
P.O. Box 160
Trenton, NJ 08666
(609) 292-6500
TTY (609) 292-5120

Last Updated: January 26, 2021