NJ Home   Services A to Z   Departments/Agencies FAQs
Great Seal of the State of New Jersey
NJDOT Site Index  |  Search: NJ Home   NJDOT
Great Seal of the State of New Jersey

news release

Contact: Dana Sullivan
RELEASE: December 14, 2001

MVS Amends New Rules For Permanent Resident Aliens

In order to reduce backups at regional offices, Motor Vehicle Services will allow foreign nationals with permanent resident status to go to any MVS agency to apply for or renew driver licenses.

“About half of the foreign nationals coming to us for driver licenses have permanent ‘green card’ status,” acting Motor Vehicle Services Lino F. Pereira said. “These people qualify for permanent licenses.”

In making the announcement today, Pereira said that since MVS recently changed its procedures for foreign nationals, an average of 325 people a day have presented documents issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service. Since Nov. 19, applicants presenting INS documents have been routed to the four MVS regional Services Centers.

The Regional Service Centers are in Wayne, Eatontown, Trenton and West Deptford.

Those applicants who have been granted permanent status in the United States (holding a “green card”) or are waiting to receive their permanent status (have an I-551 stamp in their passport), can go to any of the 45 motor vehicle agencies to apply for a driver license or non-driver identification.

Pereira said that the three changes initiated on Nov. 19 still apply.

1) Anyone from a foreign country whose Immigration and Naturalization Service visa status allows them in this country for less than a year must use their license from their home country for that period.

2) Licenses issued to people with non-permanent INS status will be marked with the expiration date of that status and that date will be stored as the expiration date of the driver license.

3) Anyone applying for a driver license and using an INS document – other than those with permanent status as described above -- as proof of identity and legal status in this country will be required to apply for their license at one of the four MVS Regional Service Centers.

Go to NJDOT home page Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Legal Statement | Accessibility Statement  Go to State of New Jersey home page
  department: home | about | NJ commuter | in the works | business | engineering | freight, air & water | capital | community | data | links | index
  statewide: NJ Home | about NJ | business | government | state services A to Z | departments

  Copyright © State of New Jersey, 2002-2020
  Department of Transportation
  P.O. Box 600
  Trenton, NJ 08625-0600
OPRA - open public records act

  Last Updated:  March 30, 2007