NJ Home   Services A to Z   Departments/Agencies FAQs
Great Seal of the State of New Jersey
NJDOT Site Index  |  Search: NJ Home   NJDOT
Great Seal of the State of New Jersey

news release

P.O. Box 600
Trenton, NJ
Contact: Marc La Vorgna or Joe Fiordaliso

RELEASE: December 13, 2004

NJODOT announces $67.5 million in grants to New Jersey municipalities
Funds local street improvements; provides property tax relief

(Trenton) - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) Commissioner Jack Lettiere today announced the award of $67.5 million in Municipal Aid grants to 408 New Jersey towns to fund local safety, rehabilitation, and street improvements. These grants will provide direct property tax relief for municipalities that would otherwise be forced to pay for these improvements using local taxes.

Commissioner Lettiere announced the winning Municipal Aid grants (pdf 48k) at a ceremonial check presentation at the headquarters of the New Jersey State League of Municipalities this afternoon in Trenton .

"These grants will make local streets safer, pay for needed sidewalks and crosswalks, and help revitalize downtown areas," said Lettiere. "The Municipal Aid program illustrates our commitment to relieving congestion, improving safety and enhancing the quality of life in our communities."

The NJDOT has awarded a total of $67.5 million to 408 municipalities statewide. This funding is distributed using a formula based on a town's population and road mileage. NJDOT provides towns with 75% of the amount of the grant up front and the remaining 25% after work is completed.

"Municipal governments maintain roughly 70% of the roads in New Jersey ," stated New Jersey League of Municipalities President, Mayor Peter Cantu of Plainsboro. "This investment by the NJDOT is essential to keeping these vital arteries open and in good repair."

Each spring, municipalities are encouraged to apply for funding through the NJDOT Local Aid Division. Applications cover a variety of project types including road resurfacing, rehabilitation or reconstruction and signalization.

"This funding is essential in maintaining transportation infrastructure while minimizing the impact on the local taxpayers," said Assemblyman John S. Wisniewski, Chairman of the Assembly Transportation Committee. "Every dollar a municipality receives in state transportation funding is a dollar that does not have to come out of the pockets of the local taxpayers."

Municipal governments maintain over 25,000 miles of New Jersey 's 36,000 miles of roadway - roughly 70 percent. In many instances, local property taxes do not provide sufficient funds for proper repair and maintenance to these roadways.

"With New Jersey 's reputation as a commuter state, we have to provide for an ever-improving roadway infrastructure to serve the people," said Senator Nicholas J. Sacco, D-Hudson, Chairman of the Senate Transportation Committee. "These grants will go a long ways towards keeping our local roads and highways in top form, and ensuring a safe trip for New Jersey 's drivers."

" New Jersey commuters deserve a transportation system that meets the needs of tomorrow, not one that struggles to keep up with yesterday's demands," said Assembly Speaker Albio Sires (D-Hudson). "Improvement of our road networks and bridges is essential to improving economic growth and the quality of life for New Jersey residents."

"These investments will promote safety, economic growth, environmental protection, and a better quality of life," said Assembly Majority Leader Joseph J. Roberts Jr. (D-Camden). "These projects are great examples of how the state is partnering with local government to improve roadways and whole communities. These investments will pay dividends for generations of motorists."

NJDOT's Municipal Aid grant program is very popular and extremely competitive. Of 829 grant applications received, the NJDOT is able to fund 408 - or 49% - of requests. Funding for this popular program is also limited; NJDOT received over $198 million in requests.

In addition to Fiscal Year 2005 Municipal Aid funding, the NJDOT has also announced funding for towns for various Local Aid programs including: $4 million in grants for the Bikeways program, $4 million for the Safe Streets to Schools Program, $3 million for the Centers of Place program, and $10 million for the federally-funded Transportation Enhancements program.

# # #

Go to NJDOT home page Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Legal Statement | Accessibility Statement  Go to State of New Jersey home page
  department: home | about | NJ commuter | in the works | business | engineering | freight, air & water | capital | community | data | links | index
  statewide: NJ Home | about NJ | business | government | state services A to Z | departments

  Copyright © State of New Jersey, 2002-2020
  Department of Transportation
  P.O. Box 600
  Trenton, NJ 08625-0600
OPRA - open public records act

  Last Updated:  April 17, 2013