I-495 eastbound lane and ramp closure
tonight for emergency
bridge repairs in Secaucus
Traffic should avoid Route 3 eastbound and the Lincoln Tunnel
(Trenton) - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced the closure of the right lane of I-495 eastbound and the exit ramp from Route 3 eastbound to I-495 eastbound in Secaucus, Hudson County, tonight for emergency repairs to the bridge deck over Route 3. I-495 is the main feeder into the Lincoln Tunnel.
Beginning at 7 p.m. today, February 11, the right lane of I-495 eastbound over Route 3, as well as the ramp from Route 3 eastbound onto I-495 eastbound, will be closed for a full depth concrete deck repair. The left lane will be maintained at all times. The work is expected to be completed overnight before the morning commute.
Motorists should expect heavy congestion in the area and are advised to seek alternate routes.
The George Washington Bridge and Holland Tunnels will be the best options into and out of Manhattan tonight.
For motorists that use the Route 3 eastbound service road and wish to use I-495 eastbound to the Lincoln Tunnel the following detour will be set up:
- Continue on Route 3 to Route 1&9 southbound
- Use the jughandle across from Wendy’s to make a U-Turn to Route 1&9 northbound.
- Traffic should stay right to stay on Tonnelle Avenue and take the ramp to Paterson Plank Road just before the I-495 overpass
- At the end of the ramp turn right onto Paterson Plank Road southbound
- Turn left onto Columbia Avenue
- Turn right onto 30th Street
- Stay left and take the ramp down under Kennedy Boulevard and straight onto I-495 eastbound
The I-495 Bridge over Route 3 where the work will be done tonight is just east of the NJ Turnpike, and approximately a half mile east of the Paterson Plank Road overpass that was struck today by a tractor trailer, requiring the closure of Route 3 in both directions. The emergency repair on I-495 is not related to that incident.
Variable message signs are being utilized to provide advance notification to the motoring public of all traffic pattern changes associated with the work.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information.