Christie Administration awards $5.4 million
in airport safety and improvement grants
Eight airports will benefit from the funding
(Trenton) - The Christie Administration today announced eight airport grants totaling $5.4 million in state funds to support airport improvement projects. These funds, which leverage federal funding and airport contributions, will support a total of $6.3 million worth of work.
The Christie Administration has invested more than $28.6 million in New Jersey’s general aviation airports in the past five years, leveraging an additional $56.1 million in federal grants and $3.9 million from airport owners, for a total of $88.6 million in airport improvements and management.
“New Jersey’s public-use airports are a critical piece of New Jersey’s complex and diverse transportation network,” said New Jersey Department of Transportation Commissioner Jamie Fox. “Support of these facilities through state and federal grants helps promote economic growth. General Aviation is a vital economic engine that supports more than 18,000 well-paying jobs in New Jersey and contributes $1.7 billion to the state's economy each year.”
The grants, provided through the New Jersey Department of Transportation’s Bureau of Multimodal Grants and Programs, will advance runway rehabilitation, taxiway construction, lighting improvements, and safety and security improvements at several airports including Trenton-Mercer Airport (Mercer County), Morristown Municipal Airport (Morris County), Greenwood Lake Airport (Passaic County), Eagles Nest Airport (Ocean County), Central Jersey Regional Airport (Somerset County), and Solberg Airport (Hunterdon County).
In addition to these state-funded airport grants, two airports received grants from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to cover 90 percent of the project costs, with NJDOT and the airports splitting the remaining 10 percent. Lakewood Airport will receive nearly $70,000 from the FAA for final design of a project to relocate the Runway 24 threshold and construct a taxiway to the end of the construction. The state and airport are each contributing about $3,900 to the project.
Hammonton Airport will receive approximately $63,000 from the FAA for the second phase of an obstruction survey and analysis. NJDOT is providing a five percent match in the amount of approximately $3,500 for the project with the remaining five percent being matched by the airport.