New Jersey transportation and
emergency agencies to conduct
hurricane evacuation exercise on Thursday
No roads will be closed, however motorists should expect an increased police and work crew presence on key shore roads
(Trenton) - The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) in partnership with the New Jersey State Police (NJSP), the New Jersey Turnpike Authority (NJTA) and the South Jersey Transportation Authority (SJTA) announced today that it will be conducting an emergency evacuation exercise on Thursday, July 23 to practice and refine a response in the event of a major hurricane.
No roads will be closed during the drill.
However, motorists can expect to see an increased presence of State Police and NJDOT work crews along several highways and are advised to use caution on the following key Shore evacuation routes:
- Atlantic City Expressway (entire length from Atlantic City to Washington Township)
- Garden State Parkway (mile marker 0 in Lower Township to mile marker 38 in Egg Harbor)
- I-195 (mile marker 6 in Robbinsville to about mile marker 34 in Wall)
- Route 72 (mile marker 0 in Woodland to approximately mile marker 29 in Ship Bottom)
- Route 47 (mile marker 16 to 21 in Dennis, and approximately mile marker 32 to 35 in Maurice River)
- Route 347 (mile marker 0 in Dennis to about mile marker 9 in Maurice River)
The main element of the exercise is preparing to set up a contra flow (reversing traffic on a section of roadway to travel in the opposite direction) on these highways that serve as evacuation routes for the Shore. Crews will be staging cones, barrels, and message boards in designated locations along the side of these highways, but will not be deploying the materials. No roads will be closed during the drill.
As a reminder, it is unlawful for motorists, including media, to pull off to the side of the freeway for anything other than an emergency.
Variable message signs will notify motorists of the exercise while it is underway. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information.