I-78 lane closures necessary for start of Pattenburg Road/CR614 bridge replacement project
in Hunterdon County
Full Bridge closure will require detour
(Trenton) - The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) today announced a temporary lane closure on I-78 and the full closure of Pattenburg Road/CR614 for the start of a bridge replacement project in Hunterdon County.
Beginning at 10 a.m. Tuesday, May 30 until 2 p.m., and again from 8 pm. to 5 a.m. the next day, NJDOT’s contractor, Berto Construction Inc., will be closing a single lane near Exit 11 on I-78 for the placement of temporary shielding in preparation for the start of bridge work on Pattenburg Road over I-78 in Union Township, Hunterdon County.
In addition to the I-78 lane closures, the contractor also will be closing Pattenburg Road over I-78 at noon on Tuesday, May 30 for approximately six months to allow for the bridge replacement work. The following detours will remain in place:
I-78 westbound and CR614/Pattenburg Road southbound Detour
- Motorists using I-78 westbound at Exit 11 wishing to cross over I-78 to CR614/Pattenburg Road will be directed to take Route 173 eastbound
- Make a right onto CR635 southbound/Perryville Road and cross over I-78
- Make a right onto Frontage Road
- Continue on Frontage Road to Pattenburg Road
I-78 eastbound and CR614/Pattenburg Road northbound Detour
- Motorists using I-78 eastbound at Exit 11 and those driving on CR614/Pattenburg Road wising to cross over I-78 to Route 173 will be directed to make a right onto Baptist Church Road
- Baptist Church Road becomes Frontage Road
- Continue on Frontage Road eastbound and make a left on CR635/Perryville Road northbound to cross over I-78
- Make a left onto Route 173 westbound and continue to Pattenburg Road
The $3.8 federally-funded Pattenburg Road bridge project will replace the structurally deficient bridge superstructure and deck, and make repairs to the bridge substructure and abutment. The project is expected to be completed in late 2017.
Variable message signs are being utilized throughout the project limits to provide advance notification to motorists of all traffic pattern changes associated with the bridge replacements. Throughout the project, NJDOT will provide information before upcoming road closures.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weatheror other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info.