Route 44 detour to begin next week for drawbridge maintenance in Gloucester County
Road closures will continue for several months
(Trenton) -New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced the start of a preventative maintenance project to repair the drawbridge on Route 44 over Mantua Creek between Paulsboro and West Deptford in Gloucester County.
Beginning at 7 a.m., Monday, May 7 until 3 p.m. and continuing daily Monday through Friday for several months, NJDOT’s contractor, Agate Construction, will close the bridge to conduct preventative maintenance on the bridge deck, substructure, and mechanical apparatus that operates the bridge. The bridge will be closed until the project is complete.
The $400,000 preventative maintenance project will enhance operational performance and safety on the bridge. Improvements include deck, substructure, and roadway repairs, as well as mechanical maintenance of the bearings, scuppers, wire ropes and sheaves, and warning gongs. The following detours will be in place until the project’s completion:
- Motorists heading south on Route 44 will be directed to turn left on Mantua Grove Road
- Turn left to merge onto I-295 southbound
- Take Exit 18 and keep left to merge onto Berkley Road
- Follow Berkley Road to Route 44/Broad Street
- Motorists heading north on Route 44 will be directed to turn right on Berkley Road
- Take Exit I-295 westbound
- Take exit I-295 southbound to I-195 eastbound
- To I-195 East Exit 5 to Route 130 northbound
Route 130 southbound Truck Detour:(Until summer 2019)
- Trucks traveling southbound on Route 130 will be directed to I-195 westbound
- Merge onto I-295 northbound
- Take Exit 19 to Mantua Grove Road
- Follow Mantua Grove Road and turn right to continue on Route 44/Crown Point Road
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info and on our Facebook page.