New Jersey transportation and emergency agencies
to conduct hurricane evacuation exercise on Thursday
No roads will be closed, however motorists should expect an increased police and work crew presence on key shore routes
(Trenton) - Motorists can expect to see an increased State Police and NJDOT work crew presence along several highways and are advised to use caution on the following key Shore evacuation routes:
• Atlantic City Expressway (entire length from Atlantic City to Washington Township)
• Garden State Parkway (mile post 0 in Lower Township to mile post 38 in Egg Harbor)
• I-195 (mile post 6 in Robbinsville to about mile post 34 in Wall)
• Route 72 (mile post 13.8 in Barnegat to approximately mile post 29 in Ship Bottom)
• Route 47 (mile post 16 to 21 in Dennis, and approximately mile post 32 to 35 in Maurice River)
• Route 347 (mile post 0 in Dennis to about mile post 9 in Maurice River)
The main element of the exercise is preparing to set up a contra flow (reversing traffic on a section of roadway to travel in the opposite direction) on these highways that serve as evacuation routes for the Jersey Shore. Crews will be staging cones, barrels, and message boards in designated locations along the side of these highways, but will not be deploying the materials. No roads will be closed during the drill.
As a reminder, it is unlawful for motorists, including media, to pull off to the side of the freeway for anything other than an emergency.
Variable message signs will notify motorists of the exercise while it is underway. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info or on the NJDOT Facebook page.