Ridge Road Bridge over Route 3 to be closed in Bergen County
Bridge to be reconstructed, traffic detoured during construction
(Trenton) -New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced the long term closure of the Ridge Road Bridge over Route 3 in Rutherford as the safety improvement and congestion relief project that will replace the Ridge Road and Orient Way Bridges advances.
Beginning at 8 p.m., Thursday, June 14, NJDOT’s contractor, Carbo Constructors Corp, is scheduled to close lanes on Route 17 in both directions for sign installation and other prep work. Beginning at 10 p.m. the same night, the contractor is scheduled to close lanes on Route 3 in both directions to install protective shielding under the Ridge Road Bridge. At least one lane will remain open at all times on both roads.
Beginning at 11 p.m., Friday, June 15, the contractor is scheduled to close the Ridge Road Bridge over Route 3 in both directions, as well as the off-ramp from Route 3 westbound to Ridge Road. Marginal road also will be restricted to local traffic only. The bridge is expected to be closed for eight months while it is demolished and reconstructed. The following detours will be in place:
Ridge Road Northbound detour
- Motorists approaching the bridge heading northbound should take a right on Rutherford Avenue
- At the light, take a left on Orient Way
- Turn left on Barrows Avenue and make a right to continue on Ridge Road
Ridge Road Southbound detour
- Motorists approaching the bridge heading southbound should turn left on Barrows Avenue
- Turn right at the light on Orient Way
- Turn right on Rutherford Avenue and turn left to continue south on Ridge Road
Route 3 Westbound exit to Ridge Road detour
- Motorists on Route 3 westbound should exit before Ridge Road at the exit for Route 17 southbound
- Stay right to continue on Rutherford Avenue
- Continue to Ridge Road
Marginal Road to Ridge Road detour
- Motorists wishing to drive east on Marginal road to Ridge Road should instead proceed to Park Avenue and head north
- Turn right at Woodland Ave and continue to Ridge Road.
Ridge Road Northbound to Route 3 Westbound detour
- Motorists wishing to take Ridge Road and enter Route 3 westbound at Marginal Road should instead head east on Rutherford Ave
- Continue on Route 17 northbound and stay right to take the on ramp to Route 3 westbound.
The federally-funded $26.7 million project began in March 2018 and will replace both the Ridge Road Bridge and the Orient Way Bridge over Route 3, provide a continuous full-width right shoulder on Route 3 in both directions to help ease congestion, and make improvements to the Polito Avenue and Rutherford Avenue intersection, including traffic signal improvements and ADA compliant sidewalk ramps.
The project is being constructed in five stages and NJDOT is using Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC) techniques to reduce the time it will take to replace the bridges. The entire project is expected to be completed by the summer of 2020. As the Ridge Road and Orient Way Bridges over Route 3 project advances, NJDOT will provide additional information including ramp or lane closures and detours.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for construction updates and real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info and on our Facebook page.