Route 31 southbound detour over Peters Brook
this weekend in East Amwell
Closure necessary to replace southbound bridge deck
(Trenton) - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced Route 31 southbound in East Amwell is scheduled to be closed and detoured this weekend as the bridge deck replacement project on the Route 31 Bridge over Peters Brook advances.
Beginning at 6 a.m., Thursday, July 26, until 6 a.m. Monday, July 30, NJDOT's contractor, South State, Inc., is scheduled to close and detour the southbound lanes over the bridge to install the newly cast bridge deck. Northbound traffic over the bridge will be maintained on the newly completed northbound lanes. The following detours will be in place.
Route 31 southbound car detour
- Motorists traveling southbound on Route 31 should take a right on CR 579/Linvale-Harbourton Road
- Take a left on CR 518/Lambertville Hopewell Road
- Turn right to continue on Route 31 southbound
Route 31 southbound Truck Detour:
Trucks continuing west to Pennsylvania from the Route 29 interchange with I-295 should follow the following detour:
- Trucks on Route 202 southbound will be directed to continue southbound
- Take exit for Route 179 southbound
- Continue southbound as it becomes Route 29 southbound/South Main Street/River Road
- Bear right onto Route 175 southbound
- Turn left for I-295 southbound
- Take Exit 72 for Pennington Road/Route 31
- Follow signed truck detour onto Route 175 south
- Turn left onto I-295 south and continue to Exit 73A
- Using the loop ramps at the exit, make a U-turn to I-295 north
The $2.9 million dollar federally-funded project will replace the deck and approaches to the bridge, as well
as make substantial repairs to the substructure. The project is designed in stages. During the first stage,
traffic was shifted to allow sections of the bridge structure and abutments to be demolished and replaced
with prefabricated sections of concrete. During stage two, traffic was shifted onto the southbound side of
the bridge deck so the northbound side could be replaced. This project is being done in coordination
with the Route 31 Bridge over CSX project.
NJDOT is using Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC) techniques to reduce the time it will take to replace the bridge and reduce the impact of construction on the travelling public. The entire project is expected to
be completed by the fall of this year.
Construction signs are being utilized to provide advance notification to the motoring public of all traffic pattern changes associated with the work. NJDOT will provide more information before any lane closures
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info or on the NJDOT Facebook page.