Route 31 temporary detours required for bridge deck installation over CSX railroad in Mercer County
Bridge rehabilitation project advances
(Trenton) - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced a Route 31 southbound passenger vehicle detour and a Route 31 truck detour in both directions in order to pour the bridge deck for the CSX bridge reconstruction project in Mercer County.
Beginning at 6 a.m. Thursday, July 26, until 6 a.m. Monday, July 30, NJDOT’s contractor Ritacco Construction Inc., is scheduled to close and detour passenger vehicles on Route 31 southbound, as well as truck traffic on Route 31 in both directions for the bridge deck pour between Hopewell and Pennington.
A temporary detour is being implemented due to the high probability that vibrations from heavy load vehicles may cause cracks to develop while the new bridge deck concrete is curing. As a result, all Route 31 southbound traffic, and trucks in both directions are prohibited access to the bridge and must use alternate routes. Route 31 northbound passenger vehicles and local area businesses will continue to have access. This project is being done in coordination with the Route 31 Bridge over Peter’s Brook project. The following detours will be in place for approximately four days or until complete.
Route 31 southbound car detour
- Motorists will be directed to turn right onto Pennington Titusville Road/ CR 624 Westbound
- Turn left onto Scotch Road
- Turn left onto Washington Crossing Pennington Road/ CR 546 Eastbound
- Turn right to at Circle to continue on Route 31 Southbound
Route 31 southbound Truck Detour:
Trucks continuing west to Pennsylvania from the Route 29 interchange with I-295 should follow the following detour:
- Trucks on Route 202 southbound will be directed to continue southbound
- Take exit for Route 179 southbound
- Continue southbound as it becomes Route 29 southbound/South Main Street/River Road
- Bear right onto Route 175 southbound
- Turn left for I-295 southbound
- Take Exit 72 for Pennington Road/Route 31
- Follow signed truck detour onto Route 175 south
- Turn left onto I-295 south and continue to Exit 73A
- Using the loop ramps at the exit, make a U-turn to I-295 north
Route 31 northbound Truck Detour:
- Trucks from Route 31 northbound/Pennington Road will be directed onto I-295 Northbound
- Take the Exit 76 for Route 29 (Trenton/Lambertville)
- Stay right at the fork for Route 29 northbound/Lambertville
- Continue as Route 29/River Road/South Main Street becomes Route 179 northbound
- Take the exit for Flemington/Route 202 northbound
- Take the interchange exit for Route 31
NJDOT has designed this federally-funded $13.6 million bridge replacement project to be completed in stages. The project, which started in summer 2016, is expected to be completed by fall 2018.
Variable message signs and lane closure signs are being utilized throughout the project limits to provide advance notification to motorists of all traffic pattern changes associated with the project. NJDOT will provide information before upcoming road closures.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info or on the NJDOT Facebook page.