Route 71 moveable bridge over Shark River to be closed Tuesday night for emergency repairs in Monmouth County
Temporary draw bridge closure required for barrier gate repairs
(Trenton) -New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced emergency repairs requiring a temporary closure Tuesday night of the Route 71 drawbridge over Shark River between Belmar and Avon by the Sea in Monmouth County.
Beginning at 9 p.m., Tuesday, August 28 until 6 a.m. Wednesday, August 29, NJDOT’s contractor Mount Construction is scheduled to close the Route 71/Main Street moveable bridge between Belmar and Avon by the Sea for emergency repairs to a malfunctioning safety barrier gate that comes down when the bridge opens. The barrier gate malfunction was identified this past weekend and replacement materials where immediately ordered. Motorists are advised to follow the posted signed detour or use alternate routes. The following overnight detour will be in place.
Route 71 Main Street northbound from Belmar to Avon by the Sea Detour:
Route 71 Main Street southbound from Avon by the Sea to Belmar Detour:
- Motorists on Route 71 northbound will be directed to turn left onto Eighth Avenue
- Turn right on Route 35
- Continue over the Route 35/Shark River Bridge and follow signs for Avon by the Sea
- Motorists on Route 71 southbound will be directed to turn right onto Sylvania Avenue
- Continue onto the loop for Memorial Drive in Neptune
- Follow onto Route 35 and continue over the Shark River Bridge into Belmar
- Turn left onto Eighth Avenue and follow to Main Street
Construction signs will provide advance notification to motorists of traffic pattern changes associated with the work. The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info or on the NJDOT Facebook page.