Route 9 northbound to be closed and detoured as Bridge over Waretown Creek project advances in Ocean Township
Route 9 southbound traffic to be shifted to the shoulder
(Trenton) -New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced Route 9 northbound will be closed and detoured, and Route 9 southbound will be shifted to the shoulder, as the Route 9 Bridge over Watertown Creek Bridge replacement project advances in Ocean Township. Separate detours will be in place for cars and trucks.
Beginning at 8 p.m. Friday, September 21, NJDOT’s contractor, Earle Asphalt, will close and detour Route 9 northbound from Bryant Road to Memorial Drive, and shift Route 9 southbound traffic to the shoulder to begin the next stage of construction. Route 9 in this section is one lane in each direction.
The new traffic configuration will allow for the demolition of the east side of the bridge and reconstruction of a new bridge. This configuration is expected to remain in effect until spring 2019. The following car and truck detours will be in place:
Route 9 northbound detour
- Motorists traveling Route 9 northbound will be directed to turn right onto Bryant Road
- Turn left onto CR 613/Main Street
- Turn left onto Lighthouse Drive back to Route 9
Route 9 northbound truck detour
- Trucks traveling Route 9 northbound will be directed to turn left onto CR 554/West Bay Avenue
- Take the Garden State Parkway north to Exit 74 - CR 614/Lacey Road
- Turn right onto CR 614/Lacey Road and follow to Route 9
- There will be no tolls collected between these specific interchanges traveling northbound
The $3.1 million federally-funded project will replace the structurally deficient bridge located between Bryant Road and Birdsall Street in Ocean Township. The project is advancing in stages to minimize the disruption to traffic. Construction on the west side of the bridge is expected to begin in the spring of 2019 and be completed by summer 2019. Two-way traffic will be maintained on Route 9 during this stage of construction.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for construction updates and real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info or on the NJDOT Facebook page.