Route 440 traffic to be restored in both directions
as the Bridge over Route 9 and Garden State Parkway project advances
Two night traffic shift and ramp closures required for crossover removal
(Trenton) -New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced that two lanes of traffic will be restored in both directions on Route 440 at the Bridge over Route 9 and Garden State Parkway (GSP) in Woodbridge.
The roadway crossover used in the last stage of construction will be removed as the next construction stage begins. Overnight road and ramp closures for two nights are required in order to advance the project.
Beginning at 10 p.m., Friday, February 8 until 6 a.m. the next day, Saturday, February 9, NJDOT’s contractor, Ritacco Construction, Inc., will remove the current crossover configuration, create a center work area and restore both Route 440 northbound and southbound to two lanes in each direction. Two ramp closures and a temporary traffic shift are required to accommodate the crossover removal.
Route 440 southbound ramp to Route 9/Garden State Parkway southbound Detour:
(11 p.m. Friday, February 8 until 6 a.m. the next morning)
- Motorists on Route 440 southbound will be directed to take the Pfeiffer Boulevard/ Route 184 west/Route 35 south exit
- Continue on Pfeiffer Boulevard/Route 184 west as it becomes West Pond Road/Route 184 west
- Make a right at the traffic light onto King Georges Road for Route 9 southbound
- Continue on King Georges Road to merge onto Route 9 southbound
- Keep left on Route 9 southbound for the Garden State Parkway southbound exit
Beginning at 9:30 p.m., Saturday, February 9 until 8 a.m. the next day, Sunday, February 10, the northbound ramp will be closed for restriping for the final road configuration and installation of construction barrier curbs to create a center work area.
Route 440 northbound ramp to Route 9/Garden State Parkway northbound Detour:
(11 p.m. Saturday, February 9 until 6 a.m. the next morning)
- Motorists on Route 440 northbound will be directed to take the Smith Street exit
- Continue on CR656/Smith Street
- Bear right for the Route 9 northbound/Route 440 northbound exit
- Stay left to continue on Route 9 northbound
- Keep left on Route 9 northbound for the Garden State Parkway northbound exit
The newly created center work area will allow for the next stage of construction that includes the building of a permanent concrete center median barrier and pavement repair.
The prior construction stages have completed the demolition and reconstruction of the Route 440 northbound and southbound bridge decks.
The $14 million federally-funded Route 440 Bridges over Route 9/Garden State Parkway project, which started in May 2017, will replace the seven-span bridge deck, approach slabs, guiderails, parapets, bridge bearings and repair the substructure. The bridge replacement project is expected to be completed in fall 2019.
Construction signing and state police will be utilized to direct motorists of all traffic pattern changes associated with this bridge deck replacement work.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info.