I-280 eastbound ramp to Garden State Parkway resurfacing project begins in East Orange
Overnight ramp closures and detours necessary for ramp paving
(Trenton) - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced the start of a pavement resurfacing project that will require overnight closures of several ramps in the area of I-280 eastbound in East Orange, Essex County.
Beginning at 10 p.m., Monday, March 11, until 5 a.m. the next day, and continuing overnight for several nights, NJDOT’s contractor, Schifano Construction Corp., is scheduled to close four ramps for milling and paving. Traffic will be detoured during the overnight closures.
The following ramps will be closed and detoured at 10 p.m. on Monday, March 11, until 5 a.m. the next day:
- I-280 eastbound Exit 12 ramp to the Garden State Parkway/Oraton Parkway
- Freeway Drive East ramp beginning at South Walnut Street
- Eastbound connector ramp from North Oraton Parkway
The following ramp will be closed and detoured at 10 p.m. on Tuesday, March 12, until 5 a.m. the next day and again at 10 p.m. on Wednesday, March 1, until 5 a.m.:
- Eastbound connector ramp off of South Oraton Parkway to Garden State Parkway (detour signs will be posted)
I-280 overnight ramp closures and detour:
- Motorists on I-280 eastbound wishing to take Exit 12 to the Garden State Parkway/Oraton Parkway will be directed to continue on I-280 eastbound
- Take the First Street exit in Newark
- Turn left onto First Street
- Take I-280 westbound to back to Exit 12B to the Garden State Parkway
Variable message signs and detour signs are being utilized throughout the project limits to provide advance notification to motorists of all traffic pattern changes associated with the resurfacing project.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info.