Railroad-crossing repairs begin on 11th Street in Hammonton
Necessary safety work will require road closure and detours
(Trenton) - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced a railroad crossing rehabilitation project that will require the closure and detour of 11th Street for about a week, starting Friday in Hammonton, Atlantic County.
Beginning at 8:00 a.m., Friday, April 26, until 8 a.m. Thursday, May 2, the two-way traffic on 11th Street is scheduled to be closed and detoured between South Egg Harbor Road/CR 602 and Washington Street South for work on the railroad crossing. Local access will be maintained for residents and businesses. The following detours will be in place:
11th Street northbound detour:
- Motorists wishing to travel north on 11th Street toward South Egg Harbor Road/CR 602 will be directed to turn left onto Washington Street South
- Turn right onto Line Street
- Turn right onto South Egg Harbor Road/CR 602 to 11th Street
11th Street southbound detour:
- Motorists wishing to travel south on 11th Street will be directed to turn right onto South Egg Harbor Road/CR 602
- Turn left onto Line Street
- Turn left onto Washington Street South to 11th Street
The traffic detour will be coordinated with the local police. If work is completed earlier, the roadway will be reopened accordingly.
In order to provide safer and smoother railroad crossing in Hammonton, the existing crossing will be replaced with new concrete crossings and new asphalt approaches. This federally funded project is included within NJDOT’s railroad grade-crossing safety program that repairs, upgrades, or removes approximately 30 crossings each year, statewide.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info or on the NJDOT Facebook page.
Please note the NJDOT Communications office has a new phone number: 609.963.1975.