Route 21 northbound Exit 6 ramp to be closed and detoured
overnight this week for water utility repairs in Belleville
Separate truck and car detours in place overnight
(Trenton) - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced the Route 21 northbound Exit 6 ramp to Route 7/Belleville Turnpike is scheduled to be closed and detoured for several nights this week for utility work in Belleville, Essex County.
Beginning at 7 p.m. tonight, Monday, May 6 until 6 a.m. the next day, and continuing overnight on Tuesday, May 7 and Wednesday, May 8, the Passaic Valley Water Commission is scheduled to close the Route 21 northbound Exit 6 ramp to Route 7/Belleville Turnpike to investigate and repair valves. There will be separate overnight detours for trucks and cars:
- Trucks on Route 21 northbound wishing to take Exit 6 to Route 7/Belleville will be directed to continue on Route 21
- Take Exit 9/Route 3
- Stay left for Route 3 east/Lincoln Tunnel
- Stay right and take the exit for CR 507/Rutherford and Lyndhurst
- At the end of the ramp turn left at the light onto Park Avenue
- Cross over Route 3 and turn left onto Marginal Road
- Stay in the right lane toward Riverside Avenue
- Turn left onto Riverside Avenue
- Continue on Riverside Avenue, which will become River Road
- River Road leads to Route 7/Belleville Turnpike
- Traffic on Route 21 northbound wishing to take Exit 6 to Route 7/Belleville will be directed to continue on Route 21
- Take Exit 8/Nutley
- At the light turn left on Park Avenue and follow to Route 7/Washington Avenue
Variable message signs will provide advance notification of all traffic pattern changes. The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors.
Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info or on the NJDOT Facebook page.
Please note, the NJDOT Communications office has a new phone number – 609.963.1975