Route 440 lane closures necessary for paving as the Bridge over Route 9 and Garden State Parkway project advances
Paving required for this week to restore bridge to final configuration
(Trenton) - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced overnight lane closures on Monday and Tuesday nights for milling and paving as the Route 440 Bridge over Route 9 and Garden State Parkway (GSP) project in Woodbridge advances.
Beginning at 11 p.m., tonight, Monday, May 6, until 6 a.m. the next day, Tuesday, May 7, NJDOT’s contractor, Ritacco Construction, Inc., will close one lane of Route 440 southbound to mill and pave the approaches to the Bridge over Route 9 and the Garden State Parkway. On Tuesday, May 7, from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. the next day, one lane of Route 440 northbound will be closed for milling and paving. At least one lane will be maintained in each direction while the work is taking place.
Beginning at 11 p.m., Friday, May 10, until 6 a.m. the next day, Saturday, May 11, the Route 440 southbound ramp to Route 9/Garden State Parkway southbound will be closed and detoured for milling paving. The following detour will be in effect:
Route 440 southbound ramp to Route 9/Garden State Parkway south Detour:
(11 p.m. Friday, May 10 until 6 a.m. the next morning)
- Motorists on Route 440 southbound will be directed to take the Pfeiffer Boulevard/ Route 184 west/Route 35 south exit
- Keep right and continue on Pfeiffer Boulevard/Route 184 west as it becomes West Pond Road/Route 184 west
- Make a right at the traffic light onto King Georges Road for Route 9 southbound
- Continue on King Georges Road to merge onto Route 9 southbound
- Keep left on Route 9 southbound for the Garden State Parkway southbound exit
Beginning at 11 p.m., Saturday, May 11 until 6 a.m. the next day, Sunday, May 12, the northbound ramp will be closed for milling and paving. The following detour will be in effect:
Route 440 northbound ramp to Route 9/Garden State Parkway north Detour:
(11 p.m. Saturday, May 11 until 6 a.m. the next morning)
- Motorists on Route 440 northbound will be directed to take the Smith Street exit
- Continue on CR656/Smith Street
- Bear right for the Route 9 northbound/Route 440 northbound exit
- Stay left to continue on Route 9 northbound
- Keep left on Route 9 northbound for the Garden State Parkway northbound exit
This work marks the completion of a permanent concrete center median barrier. When work is completed on Sunday morning, the bridge will be restored to its final configuration with three lanes and a right shoulder in each direction. The next stage of the project includes repairs to bearings underneath the bridge that can be done without effecting traffic.
The $14 million federally-funded Route 440 Bridges over Route 9/Garden State Parkway project, which started in May 2017, will replace the seven-span bridge deck, approach slabs, guiderails, parapets, bridge bearings and repair the substructure. The bridge replacement project is expected to be completed in fall 2019.
Construction signing and state police will be utilized to direct motorists of all traffic pattern changes associated with this bridge deck replacement work.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info.
Please note, the NJDOT Communications office has a new phone number – 609.963.1975