Route 70 to be closed overnight in Manchester Township
for natural gas main installation
Signed detours will be in utilized in both directions
(Trenton) - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced the overnight closure of Route 70 for utility work in Manchester Township, Ocean County.
Beginning at 7 p.m., tonight, Monday, June 10, until 6 a.m., Tuesday June 11, NJDOT’s contractor, J. Fletcher Creamer and Son, Inc. is scheduled to close Route 70 between the Route 70/Route 37 circle and Colonial Drive to install a natural gas main. The following signed detours will be in place while Route 70 is closed:
Route 70 eastbound
- Motorists on Route 70 eastbound will be directed to follow signs for Route 37 eastbound at the circle
- Continue on Route 37 eastbound
- Keep right to take the jug handle for Colonial Drive
- Turn left at the stop sign onto Colonial Drive
- Turn right onto Route 70 eastbound
Route 70 westbound
- Motorists on Route 70 westbound approaching the Colonial Drive intersection will be directed to keep right to take the jug handle for Colonial Drive South
- Continue on Colonial Drive South
- Turn right onto Route 37 westbound
- Continue on Route 37 westbound to the circle and follow signs for Route 70 westbound
During the overnight closure, motorists will still be able to access the Manchester Plaza shopping center utilizing the entrance on Colonial Drive.
In addition to the overnight road closure, motorists should expect additional overnight closures of the right shoulder of Route 70 eastbound in the vicinity of Colonial Drive.
Please note, the NJDOT Communications Office has a new phone number – 609-963-1975.
Variable message signs are being utilized throughout the project limits to provide advance notification to motorists of all traffic pattern changes associated with utility replacement project. Throughout the project, NJDOT will provide information before upcoming road closures.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info and the NJDOT Facebook page.