Route 46 westbound ramps and Notch Road Bridge to be closed and detoured Friday night in Passaic County
Closures necessary to shift traffic on Notch Road
(Trenton) - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced Route 46 westbound ramps to and from Notch Road, and the Notch Road Bridge over Route 46, will be closed and detoured Friday night, July 12, as the Route 3/Route 46 Improvement Project advances in Passaic County.
Beginning at 9 p.m. tomorrow, Friday, July 12, until 6 a.m. Saturday, July 13, NJDOT’s contractor J.F. Creamer & Sanzari, is scheduled to close and detour the ramp from Route 46 westbound to Notch Road and the ramp from Notch Road to Route 46 westbound, as well as the Notch Road Bridge over Route 46.
The closures are necessary to complete paving the south side of Notch Road between Rifle Camp Road and Reservoir Drive. Once the paving is complete, traffic will be shifted to the newly reconstructed south side of the road to allow reconstruction of the north side of Notch Road between Rifle Camp Road and Reservoir Drive. Access will be maintained for local residents and businesses. The following signed detours will be in place.
Route 46 westbound ramp to Notch Road
- Motorists on Route 46 westbound wishing to exit at Notch Road will be directed to continue on Route 46 westbound
- Take the exit for Lower Notch Road
- At the end of the ramp, turn right on Lower Notch Road
- Cross under Route 46 and take the ramp to Route 46 eastbound
- Take the exit for Notch Road
Notch Road to Route 46 westbound
- Motorists wishing to get on Route 46 westbound from Notch Road will be directed to take Lackawanna Avenue
- Turn left on Lower Notch Road
- Turn right onto the ramp to Route 46 westbound
Notch Road Bridge Southbound Detour
- Motorists on Rifle Camp Road wishing to take Notch Road southbound over Route 46 will be directed to turn right on Lackawanna Avenue
- Turn left onto Lower Notch Road
- Turn right to take the ramp to Route 46 eastbound
- Take the Notch Road Exit
Notch Road Bridge Northbound Detour
- Motorists on Notch Road northbound will be directed to take Route 46 eastbound
- Stay in the right lane toward Route 3 east/Lincoln Tunnel
- Take the Valley Road north/Patterson U-turn exit
- Cross under Route 46 and turn left onto the ramp to Route 46 westbound
- Take the Browertown Road exit
- Turn left on Browertown Road
- Bear right onto Mt Pleasant Avenue
- Turn Right on Overmount Avenue
- Turn right on Rifle Camp Road
The $40.8 million federally-funded Contract A portion of the Route 3, Route 46, Valley Road and Notch/Rifle Camp Road Interchange Improvements project, which started construction in January 2016, includes the construction of a new two-way service road, three signalized intersections, and two single-lane roundabouts parallel to Route 46 westbound to remove local traffic from the state highway. The project is being accomplished with two contracts, and is expected to be completed in fall 2022.
Variable message signs are being utilized throughout the project limits to provide advance notification to motorists of all traffic pattern changes associated with the interchange improvements project. Throughout the project, NJDOT will provide information on upcoming road or ramp closures.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info or on the NJDOT Facebook page.
Please note, the NJDOT Communications Office has a new phone number – 609-963-1975.