The construction on this project has been completed.
The New Jersey Department
of Transportation's (NJDOT) Route 18 Bridge over
Route 1 Reconstruction Project located in New Brunswick, Middlesex County is currently in the Construction Phase. Construction
began in July 2014 and will continue through Fall 2016. The project will be constructed in nine stages.
The Route 18 northbound structure will be widened by one lane to create an acceleration/deceleration lane for the ramps to and from Route 1. This widening will then allow the existing lane to be used as a third thru lane on Route 18 northbound which will mitigate a merge conflict between Route 18 northbound traffic and New Jersey Turnpike traffic reducing backups on Route 18 northbound and the New Jersey Turnpike ramp. The project will also modify the curvature of Ramp D from Route 18 northbound to Route 1 southbound and replace the entire Route 18 northbound/southbound over Route 1 and Route 18 northbound over Ramp E from Route 1 southbound to Route 18 southbound superstructures utilizing precast superstructure units.
The project includes:
- Widening of Route 18 from north of Westons Mill Pond to the ramp to Route 1 southbound (Ramp D) to create a third lane
- Replacement of these superstructures (bridge deck, girders and parapet):
- Route 18 northbound over Ramp E (ramp from Route 1 southbound to Route 18 southbound)
- Route 18 northbound bridge over Route 1
- Route 18 southbound bridge over Route 1
- Reconstruction of Ramp D from Route 18 northbound to Route 1 southbound
- Replacement of lighting systems and overhead sign structures
- Installation of drainage facilities, guide rail and Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) facilities
- Relocation of existing utilities to facilitate the construction
- Installation of four retaining walls
- Limited milling and paving of Route 18 adjacent to the bridges noted above
Route 18 over Route 1 Reconstruction Project Map (pdf 497K)